cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky TV internet usage??

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sky TV internet usage??

Hi, can anyone tell me how much internet a month of Sky tv uses?  I have just signed up for sky Tv ( a great deal I may add) and it has to be connected continually to a telephone line. This implies that there will be constant usage.  I am on the old 'Extra' tariff, with 60Gb cap, and don't want to go over.
I finished my contract several months ago and didn't change to unlimited because the offer said ' existing customers only'. It also kept the option open for a quick exit if sky offered me a great deal on broadband and phone.
They did offer me a great deal. but now it comes to decision time I am reluctant to leave PN, they've been so good.  I am just concerned about exceeding the 60Gb cap. I generally use about 8GB a month.So I have approx 50GB free for sky.
9 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Sky TV internet usage??

I used to easily survive with Value ( about 5Gb) but now I'm on Unlimited using Roku with iPlayer and Netflix I'm up to over 80Gb.
I realise this isn't Sky ( censored  Wink) but it is an indication of how easily you could exceed 60Gb especially with HD.
hitachi
Grafter

Sky do not use the telephone  for internet connection,it is used as a telephone when you order box office movies etc.and to check the location of the boxes if you have multiroom.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If you can download off peak 12am-8am to watch later that will help, but if you can't or plan on watching live TV you will have to monitor what and when is watched.  On the old Extra account I used all of my 60 gig a month most months and that included over night downloads.  Note that is just me, I have no family to add extra demand on the connection so will be worse with 2 or more actively watching online TV/youtube/4OD/Iplayer over a month.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: hitachi
Sky do not use the telephone  for internet connection

What about this http://www.digital-tv.co.uk/provider/sky/on-demand which uses broadband connection
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What about this http://www.digital-tv.co.uk/provider/sky/on-demand which uses broadband connection

but thats through a modem the telephone connection plugs straight into the sky box  Lips are sealed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: PeterLoftus
but thats through a modem the telephone connection plugs straight into the sky box 
I realise that but as soon as one starts using things like on-demand, assuming it can be connected  to plusnet router, it'll eat one's allowance.
I know that my knowledge of Sky is limited as it's at the top on my " don't touch with sterilised barge pole" list  Wink
Community Veteran

As has already been said, Sky use the telephone connection to validate Pay For services and to ensure multiroom boxes are at the same location!
All calls via your Sky box are not chargeable!
Your broadband connection is used for TV catch-up services and the like.
Geoff,
York.
kdoug007
Grafter

Just my opinion... i dont thnk  there  are  any good deals  with sky...
re the  tellie...  just  add  up  what you want to  view  and  your  find , its  staggering...
pn    for  me  for the  broadband
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: kdoug007
Just my opinion... i dont thnk  there  are  any good deals  with sky...

We like the documentary channels, ie National Geographic, History channel  etc.  When I accessed the site a chat pane appeared  "My name is xxxxx  how can I help you tonight?".
After explaining that I wanted TV only, it was explained that the cheapest option was a basic pack at £21 a month.  So I said 'no thanks, going to see what virgin have to offer'. He came back with more offers and special deals. At the end of the offers I ended up with the Entertainment extra plus package,  With no upfront, free box, installation, etc etc and an M&S voucher for £15.75 a month  (half-price). For 12 months  .
A nd only a 12 Month contract. Which I think is pretty good deal.  Smiley
Ok, I know they are going to pester me to change my phone and BB, but no thanks.