Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Q

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Sky Q

Sky has released the new Sky box dubbed Sky Q.
This is a result of Project Ethan.
I'm hoping that it's affordable and in a reealistic price range and has subtitles on many of its features.
More info @ www.Sky.com/SkyQ
and several media outlets with just searching Sky TV on Google.
NE  Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Sky Q

Soon as the noise started playing I closed the tab... Grin
Haven't had sky since 2004, not planning to have it again... Grin
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

just as they announced sky 3d 8 years ago and produced new pricing models for zero improvement sky q will be another slow to catch on fad that will likely remain at the same product offering despite promises to increase the number of channels in the future for a decade after it gets released  as well, why pay for hd when its no different to sd other than having a handful of extra channels highlighted in yellow a decade later, why pay the same extra for 1 3d channel, its a con to part more fools from their cash for the exact same content you will get on the sd channels for a fraction of the price (or use a competitor and get it for even less) and because its on the sd channel will be either upscaled and then broadcast or recorded in the higher def and downscaled at the receiver end to match the hdmi output of the box .... really its about advertising the latest iteration of the box with yet another gimmick attached to it to shift some inventory and make them able to sell over priced advertising space compared to other broadcasters .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Your terminal ignorance is astonishing and tiresome. Try checking a fact, or doing some basic research once in a while.
nanotm
Pro

i'll refer you to thease two media publications about sky q
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/sky-skyq/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/11381115/Sky-accele...
one was published recently and calls it a gimmick another calls it a ploy to sell boxes.
both seem to agree that sky has taken a risk and this might go the same way as the 3D product where is there was a lot of hype many delays and not a lot of interest, just as the second link shows this is a new announcement (it was made some time back in 2013 that it would be coming) it has a new gimmick announced as being part of the new service (but its not a new concept the youview boxes have ben offering pause /restart on connected device for a few years)
you might disagree with my analysis but that mean its devoid of facts, in 2006 I got sky hd in 2007 they sent a coming soon announcement letter which given the dearth of the promised expansion of hd channels i decided not to bother upping the price of my sub for something that wasn't even ready...
in 2004 i had ntl tv which included 12 hd channels, 4 more than sky had on the day it launched its product 2 years behind the curve and with double the price for the package but i was forced to get satellite tv since cable wasn't in the area i had moved to and terrestrial tv didn't reach round the corner of the valley...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

nanotm correct as always!
less than 24 after the public launch, he has deemed it as a gimmick and doomed to failure - it this before any of the public have actually used it.
nanotm
Pro

is it really a lunch if its the start of a publicity campaign with the product go live date of some time in 2016 ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
is it really a lunch if

Don't make a meal of it.  Smiley
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

is it really a lunch if its the start of a publicity campaign with the product go live date of some time in 2016 ?

clearly you don't understand the meaning of "product launch".
or, more likely, you do and you're just trolling (as usual).
davidj66
Rising Star

Sky are getting increasingly desperate -they have paid an obscene amount of money for footy rights -at the same time as more and more people are leaving or negotiating discounts ( I recently negotiated to reduce my payments to ~ £22 pm -a saving of  over £47 pm!!) or are watching Sky offerings for nowt via Android devices and Kodi - they are hoping that the "keeping up with the Jones" crowd are going to invest in SkyQ otherwise their profits will nose dive soon.
nanotm
Pro

@aa
spell check to the rescue always good for a laugh
@chenks
I understand a publicity campaign launch to be the first time its mentioned, and the product launch to be the announcement of the fixed release date, perhaps you believe it to be something different
@davidj60
I thought BT was the one to pay obscene amounts for the footy rights, and sky were loosing market share to cheaper offerings that already enabled people to utilise compatible products to get the "fluid" service (without needing to pay extra for it)
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

you might disagree with my analysis but that mean its devoid of facts, in 2006 I got sky hd in 2007 they sent a coming soon announcement letter which given the dearth of the promised expansion of hd channels i decided not to bother upping the price of my sub for something that wasn't even ready...

Sky 3D launched spring 2010 showing select football matches in pubs. It launched in the autumn for residential customers. They closed the channel back in June this year.
Sky HD launched with 10 channels, if you include the two Box Office ones, mid 2010 they hit their goal of 50 channels, which meant they had  more HD content than anyone (outside the US)
Don't get me started on the upscaling/downscaling gibberish.
So no your 'analysis' isn't accurate. It never is. It never will be.

nanotm
Pro

did anyone claim it was accurate?
i couldn't care less about nitpicking fats anyone that's bothered can look them up, its my analysis based on what i experienced as mug that paid over the odds for something that was exactly the same to my eyes as the cheaper non gimmick option that failed to meet the original promises, sky sold me the hd pack as "have 8 channels today with another 20 during the year" a year later they added ziltch, 4 years later they had managed ot finally generate some movement oh but wait the picture quality is identical if your watching hd or sd channels on a 40" 1080p tv at 6 foot viewing distance.... so the benefit of adding extra entries in a different colour on the epg is what exactly ?
you don't have to agree nobody said you did, feel free to explain your stance on the matter and why you think it will be so great who knows what you might achieve, failing to do so just makes you look like you agree but hate the person who made the first post .....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

i couldn't care less about nitpicking fats

Has this anything to do with that lunch you had earlier?
nanotm
Pro

it just might do