Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky, Netflix and adverts.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Sky, Netflix and adverts.

I don't get it. Why, when these are subscription based services is one infested with adverts whilst the other leaves us in paid for peace?

Amazon of course although advert free does follow us around and target us by any means necessary. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Sky, Netflix and adverts.

In the grab for ever more profits you often don't get what you expected for your money.

Look at ebay. You pay for a page to stick your ad on but all you have done is pay for a page for ebay to put their ads on. Your own ad being squeezed onto the same page.

It's like going back in time with some of the online companies where they often treat you like they're doing you a favour instead of just giving you the proper service you have paid for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is quite simply a business decision. Sky and Netflix are different businesses and have made different decisions. 

If you don’t want adverts, don’t subscribe to the service that has them!

Simples, as they say in the adverts... Grin

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@billnotben

Well you are right there, but it is a puzzle why one can provide an advert free service and the other can't or won't.

I don't pay for them either, I just piggyback like thousands of others onto my kids account but it is exasperating when wanting a little taste of what's on offer film wise, I have to wait until a three of four minute advert has finished, decide that it is not worth the bother........ and then have to wait another three or four minutes while I check out another one!

It might be a free lunch, but if it tastes rotten then we should complain about it, otherwise........ Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Worth noting that the majority of the channels on the Sky platform aren't operated by Sky either but other broadcasters. The small cut they get from the Sky subs probably barely covers their costs.

A number of channels have recently chosen to go FTA because Sky are getting tight with their revenue sharing, and there was the public spat between Discovery and Sky last year for the same reason..

It's not like it's even a unique business model either, it's how the print media works.. The cover price largely covers their fixed costs, the ad revenue covers their over costs and allows for some profit...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well if the Mirror is to be believed I'd not worry about Sky covering their costs.

One point one billion? That'll do nicely thanks. Thumbs Up

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/sky-tv-profits-rise-customers-7801017