cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky HD

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sky HD

Some months back I upgraded to a Sky+HD box, but resisted upgrading my account to include HD channels on the grounds that the improvement in picture quality (on a relatively small screen of 26") wasn't worth the £10.50 hike in price.
However, a new TV of slightly larger screen (32") should arrive early next week, so I thought I would bite the bullet and upgrade to HD. And guess what after a few moments of ruminating by the C/s at Sky they are doing the upgrade for £2.50.
Now I didn't actually ask for this or even hint at it, so why the 70% reduction I wonder. Possibly as I have been a Sky customer unbroken for over 20 years and have a fairly large package already.
I have heard it rumoured that free upgrades are available in certain circumstances but I'm not sure if this true. It might be if the equipment is supplied by Sky, mine wasn't. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Sky HD

Based on our experience I'd say that a 32" screen doen't really warrant HD; you may notice a difference but you may not.
Infinity
Pro

Depends on the Channel I find.
On my 32" HD Ready TV, fed by SKY+HD box via HDMI cable, some Channels are noticeably better in HD, whereas some SD Channels look almost like HD.
The UK originated "Free to Air" HD channels I find are all better in HD on my 32" Toshiba.
Ie BBC1, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BBC HD. ( all non subscription HD )
It's also the same for me using my Freeview HD box.
Channel 5 ( non HD ) on Freeview is a good example for my setup of the SD version looking like HD.
I will watch HD wherever possible, the only bugbear is the DOG stating it's HD !!
Thankfully removes quickly from a lot of SKY channels, ( when I had a SKY subscription until recently ) and now recently appears to have disappered off BBC 1 HD, though not off BBC HD !
jmd
Grafter

I had a special offer on HD with SKY but then stopped it after the offer ended as many of the SKY HD channels did not have subtitles and my Samsung hd LED 32" TV has a very good picture anyway.
kdoug007
Grafter

hiya ok  dont  want  to  put  the  dampner on this ..
But    you really  would need a    40ins  or  above  to notice  that much    diffrence...
  at  THE  RISK OF  BRAGGING!..i have a  47 ins  and  the  diffrence  is  huge..
  with  regret  i couldnt  afford  the  sky  charges ,, so now  have  it  as    freesat,,
  but    still  retain  at least  bbc  x2  in hd  and  itv1  hd...
  and  the main  freesat  channels
nadger
Rising Star

Don't forget CH4 HD  Smiley
There's also CH 209 NHK World HD.
Fixes: 105

Quote from: kdoug007
hiya ok  dont  want  to  put  the  dampner on this ..
  at  THE  RISK OF  BRAGGING!..i have a  47 ins  and  the  diffrence  is  huge..

I disagree, on a 32 I can very much tell the difference especially watching sporting events.
Maybe it's my younger eyes Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 125

I can definitely see a difference watching an HD film on my mother's 32" LCD over an SD one. But the difference is more noticable watching the same movie from the same source on my 42" plasma.
The actual difference you'll see will depend on many factors including source material, model/make of TV and your own eyes.
But I wonder how many perceive an increase on smaller TVs (sub 32") purely because they want/expect to see it?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro

Quote from: dvorak

I disagree, on a 32 I can very much tell the difference especially watching sporting events.
Maybe it's my younger eyes Wink

As I mentioned also.
Quote from: PlusComUK

On my 32" HD Ready TV, fed by SKY+HD box via HDMI cable, some Channels are noticeably better in HD, whereas some SD Channels look almost like HD.
The UK originated "Free to Air" HD channels I find are all better in HD on my 32" Toshiba.

Ie BBC1, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BBC HD. ( all non subscription HD )
It's also the same for me using my Freeview HD box.
Channel 5 ( non HD ) on Freeview is a good example for my setup of the SD version looking like HD.
I will watch HD wherever possible, the only bugbear is the DOG stating it's HD !!
Thankfully removes quickly from a lot of SKY channels, ( when I had a SKY subscription until recently ) and now recently appears to have disappered off BBC 1 HD, though not off BBC HD !

And I have an advantage, I am an ex-Broadcast TV professional, so am used to viewing very high quality monitors etc at source.
And able to give a qualitative assessment of an increase in quality viewing HD on a 32" TV, any of my 32" TV's.
There is a difference, I buy for the quality of the TV, not quantity !
My eyes are tested regularly, as part of the job, apart from normal colour vision, I have a high visual acuity, and a trained eye.
Community Veteran

I have to admit, that when we first got HD, I didn't think there was much difference on our TV, until a while later, when we were watching a programme and I commented that I thought there must be a problem, because the picture seemed poor. Then I realised that we were watching it in SD - switched to the HD channel and I could definitely see the difference. I also agree that it's most noticeable in sport programmes. At the time we had a 32" LCD - we now have a 42" LED, and I agree the difference is more marked.
John