Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Go

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sky Go

I was just chatting to my Mother about her Sky service. She frequently has a poor signal or none at all (which is a separate issue I need to resolve for her) but i've just realised she may be able to use the Sky Go function on an iPad to watch TV when the satellite service fails.
Not being a Sky customer myself could anyone please advise:
- what is involved to set this feature up?
- are there any hidden clauses/costs?
- does the service work adequately?
4 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Sky Go

I used sky go on my iPad, she just needs to sign in with her sky id and it'll allow her to access the channels in her package - though not all channel are available.
No hidden costs and the service works fine, I use it to watch sport whilst others are watching the main tv.
note, i'm on fibre and haven't tried it on ADSL.
Will Moderate For Thanks
rja66
Rising Star

Thanks for the info dvorak, I'll suggest it as an option.
Community Veteran

If you go the "repair" route, run a new cable from the Satellite dish to her receiver first as they tend to suffer from water ingress and/or kinks in the cable (kinks in the cable attenuate the signal). If this doesn't resolve the problem then either a new LNB (fairly cheap) or you need to realign the dish.
Before doing anything though - make sure the dish has a clear line of sight - even some tall trees etc will mess about with the signal.
rja66
Rising Star

I think the problem may well be where the dish is positioned. It is sat in the corner on a flat roof extension and there are trees almost directly in front of it. I was surprised the sky engineer actually installed it there.That was a few years ago now and the trees (conifers) have likely grown quite a bit since.
My Mother is 82 years old and the annoying thing is she was without a signal for around two weeks but was reluctant to say anything as they charged her £69 a couple of years ago for an engineer to change her receiver, even though the engineer said at the time to her she shouldn't have to pay. Unfortunately she didn't query the bill as she is hard of hearing and finds it difficult to hear on the phone. She now passes anything like this to myself or my sister to sort out, up to now my sister has dealt with the Sky contract.
I would personally ditch Sky and opt for the BT, Plusnet, Freeview option but there are one or two Sky channels I think she would miss.