cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Arts

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sky Arts

If you get the Sky Arts channels be advised many very good programmes worth watching are screened on them.
Recorded "Shirley Bassey A Special Lady" last night and watched it this evening.
No histrionics, no backing dancers, no artificial voice enhancements, and especially no two second (short attention span) camera change bites. Recorded 33 years ago in 1980 Ms Bassey simply stood in the middle of the stage and entertained. Probably at the top of her voice quality then she was absolutely superb.
Modern "singers" should be locked in a darkened room with this recording and not allowed out until they realise this is how it can be done.
Yes ok I'm a lifelong fan.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
2 REPLIES
Razer
Grafter

Re: Sky Arts

She still does pretty damn well vocally. The one thing I hate to hear/see is when a once great singer just loses it. I don't think Ms Bassey has at all.
It's funny, I'm sure you'd disagree, but I was routing through youtube earlier for various clips and copy efforts at Pink Floyd's track The Great Gig In The Sky and thinking to myself as I listened to many vocalists completely murder it how I actually think that Clare Torry's original vocal is probably the greatest vocal in the world - and all with not a single word. It was sad to hear a clip of her doing it live some years down the line and completely murdering it too - seeming to have totally lost her range and ability.
I think too of a lot of these younger singers who have utterly destroyed their voices (often through drug use). The prime example right now is Whitney Houston. Such a shame. That said, it can be greats from further back, too. Recently watching a lot of Dusty Springfield clips and getting to the later stuff I cringed for just how bad her voice became - weak and without any impact at all. I remember at the time feeling embarrassed for her when she did the stuff with the petshop boys. As far as Bassey goes, she hardly seems to have lost any of her range or strength last I heard her.
Community Veteran

Re: Sky Arts

@Petlew. She is a great singer and still has a good voice. She performed well at the Oscars last week.  It's always good to hear some of the older singers and to appreciate good singing which is sadly lacking in some of today's performers.