cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skip Hire

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Skip Hire

I Note that a number of people living in the South of England have had problems when hiring rubbish skips as other people tend to throw their rubbish in them.
In the North we don't seem to have this problem as anything thrown into a rubbish skip is usually taken out by people who put it to further use.
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Skip Hire

Quote from: gleneagles
In the North we don't seem to have this problem as anything thrown into a rubbish skip is usually taken out by people who put it to further use.

I believe this is technically theft but I can't see anyone actually complaining Undecided
Where I used to work the factory was in a 'poor' area of town and we had a theory.
If we designed a new machine we left a sample outside the front gate over the weekend.
If the sample was gone we put it into production. If it was still there on Monday it was back to the drawing board.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The council certainly take action on anyone removing rubbish for a council tip and a lot of people have been fined for doing so.
Agree there is a major difference between a council tip and a skip outside your front door but it does prove the point that it is classed as theft.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one in our local rag this week, http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/braintree_news/8791525.I_am_no_thief__says_woman_who_t...
A single mum  took £ 20 worth of scrap aluminium from a scrap bin, got fined £200 , she was going to use it to make garden furniture

I suppose as more and more different materials acquire a scrap value as opposed to worthless landfill there may come a time when domestic skips have lockable lids to prevent theft Sad
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

We hired a large skip when clearing mother-in-law's house. One night quite a lot of the contents disappeared - no problem - it allowed us more room to fill it up again.
I once heard a story - may have been apocryphal - about a TV repair business who had a quantity of 'beyond economic repair' VCRs on his shelves. Wondering how to dispose of them, he hit on the idea of leaving one outside at close of business every day, until every one had been taken.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
I suppose as more and more different materials acquire a scrap value as opposed to worthless landfill there may come a time when domestic skips have lockable lids to prevent theft Sad

Frankly I've always been amazed they're left on the road without anchor bolts or anything to stop someone taking the skip itself as scrap.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 4C
I once heard a story - may have been apocryphal - about a TV repair business who had a quantity of 'beyond economic repair' VCRs on his shelves. Wondering how to dispose of them, he hit on the idea of leaving one outside at close of business every day, until every one had been taken.

How embarrassing would it have been if he went to work one morning and found someone had returned one of them Smiley

...under warranty Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

Recently my daughter bought a new bed and struggled downstairs with old metal framed futon and arranged council collection - needless to say that it vanished before the collection.
Her only complaint was that, if they'd wanted it, they could have helped her get it downstairs to start with  Smiley
Community Veteran

Looking on the bright side it may have saved her some money.  Our council charges to collect items like that.
Community Veteran

Glad nobody thought I was suggesting that we are so poor in the North that we had to take stuff out of skips whilst in the rich South they were quick to fill them up !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Now there`s an idea, I think I`ll go on "Dragon`s Den" with.... I could ask for £500,000 to buy a fleet of skip lorries, and offer the dragon`s 25% in my business....
What business?
Why, picking up full skips from the South of England, and transporting them "up north",..... the locals there can empty them, and my drivers just collect the empty skips to return to the south, to be refilled.... !  Grin
Community Veteran

Fantastic idea but don't suggest it to the government as they will have working parties, sub committees, research groups, think tanks on to it and it will never see the light of day. 
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
Why, picking up full skips from the South of England, and transporting them "up north",..... the locals there can empty them, and my drivers just collect the empty skips to return to the south, to be refilled.... !  Grin

Do you think they'll take old corrugated asbestos sheets?