cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sixties

N/A

Sixties

This is one for all of us who were around in the Sixties.  I thought it would be fun for people to write about what they particularly remember of the era and anything else besides.
Out of the blue this morning I remembered the lovely coffees that we used to get when we went out for a meal at the Berni Inns. (Strat will remember the one at the Norton roundabout).  They were served in a stemmed glass with a thick layer of cream on the top and an After Eight mint chocolate.  It was a real treat when I used to go there with my family and friends.
Also remember clothing - flares and the smelly Afghan coats.
My friend had a baby at 16 years of age and it was quite shocking at the time. 
Most of all I remember the air of optimism and freedom.  Only have to listen to Sixties music and I am back there.
It wasn't all beer and skittles but I look back very fondly indeed.
28 REPLIES
thisoldman
Grafter

Re: Sixties

very nice post poppy
the 60's              1  i  graduated
                            2 i lost my virginity
                            3 i bought my first car  ford anglia
                            4 i left glasgow
                            5 i bought my first home
nadger
Rising Star

We got married in the mid 60s and had bottom half of a house in Edgware.
The son of the family next door was part owner of a leading Carnaby Street shop and was making a fortune. They used to bring the Rolls Royce round and throw buckets of water over it to wash it.
Berni Inns was for special occasions - prawn cocktail and steak and chips.
In some ways I preferred the mid to late 50s - big touring bands like Ted Heath and going to The State Kilburn to see Bill Haley & The Comets  Cool
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

At the beginning of the sixties I had just entered my teens and thought I knew nothing.
At the end of the sixties I had left my teens and thought I knew everything!
"Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now".
Fixes: 47

Quote from: poppy
......meal at the Berni Inns. (Strat will remember the one at the Norton roundabout).

I was in there 3 weeks ago Poppy.
The 60's......Hmmmm Embarrassed Embarrassed long hair, red velvet flares and paper tubes of wacky baccy Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Brilliant time, it covered secondary school and University (in London) for me.
London in the late 60's as a student was wonderful - what I remember of it....  Crazy
Just been to a nostalgic 50th anniversary of my secondary school opening (Sept 1960) and met with a lot of old friends. The old headmaster was there too and gave a speech, now about 90.
Community Veteran

I was at school through the sixties, life seemed so much simpler then.
The summer holidays were long, sunny and warm, endless days spent down at the local beach and playing sports at the park.
I remember mostly the music and always having the radio on. I even had a portable radio that took every with me.
On the down side the latter part of the decade was a particularly violent time where I grew up and I had to learn to look after myself.
I woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered
Started humming a song from 1962
Ain't it funny how the night moves
When you just don't seem to have as much to lose
Strange how the night moves
With autumn closing in
Bob Seger - Night Moves
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Uhmm! my overwhelming memories of the sixties is er! shyness...that came of being brought-up in an all male household, my Mum had three sons, both sets of twins my older brothers twin, a girl that my mother sadly wanted didn't survive childbirth. My Mum was very Victorian and deeply religious in her outlook with the many taboo's that came with it. Was schooled through two boy's schools and didn't come into contact with girls until I was well into my mid teens at my first mixed secondary school even then boys were separated from girls, which did nothing to appease the raging hormones!!
It wasn't until I started work, again in an all male environment, and beginning to play in a "pop" group that my attentions turned usually unsuccessfully to the opposite sex. This was something that dominated my every waking thought for what seemed a very long time. I truly envied those of my friends with sisters, as they seemed so much more at ease in the company of girls.
I greatly enjoyed the music of the sixties (still do) and the progress for "youth" but, I found life much easier in the 70's and 80's.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Strat
The 60's......Hmmmm Embarrassed Embarrassed long hair, red velvet flares and paper tubes of wacky baccy Lips are sealed

I thought long hair and flares was a product of the 70's?
I was born in 1960 so too young to remember much. I did buy my first single; 'She Loves Me'.
I thought the old adage was 'if you remember the sixties you weren't really there'?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Which would explain my blend of 60's and 70's. Wink
Maybe I was a trend setter for the 70's in the 60's Undecided
jmd
Grafter

Memories of the 6os -
Leaving school 1963 and starting work and thinking that £2 15 shillings was a fortune!  Buying shoes at Dolcis for 29/11!  Buying a dress in C&A for same amount - and you felt very smart too!
Going to local Urmston Show on the Bank Holiday to see a pop group that had just had their first number 1 and only seeing the top of Beatles heads!  Going on a regular basis with friends to Hulme Hippodrome for recording of "Pop-Inn"  on radio but seeing all the different pop groups[Swinging Blue Jeans, Hermans Hermits, Freddie and the Pacemakers etc] of the 60s for free!
Going to the Oasis or Twisted Wheel Coffee Bars [before it became a drugs dive] in Manchester  and sitting squashed up drinking horrible strong coffee in a very smoky atmosphere,  and thinking you were really swinging!
Going on a CND Marches  with boyfriend  who later I found out was two timing me!
Eventually getting a job that paid monthly but worked out at £9 a week and thinking you were then rich!  The problem was it was as a civilian typist for Police in CID dept and at that time civilians were 3rd class citizens [Policemen being 1st, policewomen 2nd] and being treated badly [sexual harrassment] but the stuff I typed gave me a very good sex education!
Life was fun then - most of the time!

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Memories, sweet memories.  Smiley
Singing in the church choir, and rising to head chorister. Became agnostic, then atheist in the early 70s, but still love a lot of music written for the church.
One autumn Friday in the youth club, 1962, and wandering over to the excited crowd gathered round the Dansette - it was the Beatles' 'Love Me Do' - and sensing that 'something was happening'.
Seeing the Beatles headlining a package tour at the local Gaumont - for 5/- (25p) in 1963.
In a car in a pub car park in Rhyl, summer '64, with orange cordial and plain crisps, tranny held to one ear, and hearing the intro to the Animals' 'House of the Rising Sun' on Radio Luxembourg.
Hearing the Byrds' 'Mr Tambourine Man' on the radio, and immediately rushing into town to buy it (6/3d IIRC).
Visiting a mate in 1966, and us both being knocked sideways watching TOTP and seeing Jimi Hendrix for the first time.
Seeing many great gigs, notably Spencer Davis Group and Cream.
There are other memories of course, but the musical landmarks are the strongest.
Not young enough to know everything
N/A

It's been lovely reading through all those memories so thanks for sharing them.  Many of them I remember too, particularly the musical ones.
I imagine that Strat was a real 'child of the sixties' somehow.  Wonder if the long hair and flares suited him?  Shocked

I never had any complaints Wink
nadger
Rising Star

@jmdlp - You've just invented a new pop group  Roll eyes
Wasn't it actually Freddie and the Dreamers + Gerry and the Pacemakers  Wink