cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sir John Major praises immigrants ....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sir John Major praises immigrants ....

He says what I have always thought. In this 'global village' , whether 10 miles or 1000 miles, Moving to improve your lot is commendable.
The problem is when people refuse to integrate socially or economically.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28737782
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Sir John Major praises immigrants ....

I agree provided they are genuine legal immigrants working hard to prosper.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I don't agree.
As the population increases it is necessary to improve services in line with that increase, this is clearly not happening because we do not have the money to fund this, or we might have the money but the government spends it in other ways, so the average person suffers because there is not enough school places, hospital and GP waiting lists grow longer  and local services such as libraries and other things are closed.
So it might make you feel better to say let everybody and anybody in but stop and consider the effect on those already here irrespective of where they have come from.
Community Veteran

A difficult problem. Firstly there is nothing we can do to stop EU citizens coming in. We are placing restrictions on them, they can't claim benefits for 3 months and then only for 3 months.
We can control non EU citizens and should do so. I think we should adopt the Australian system whereby entry is only allowed to people who have a trade/occupation that we need. These people would then earn a salary on which they will pay tax to the exchequer. 
We had a net intake of 200,000+ people last year. What the breakdown is between EU/Non EU I don't know.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
What the breakdown is between EU/Non EU I don't know.

From http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/may-2014/sty-eu-migra...
Who is migrating to the UK?
Non-EU citizens accounted for 47% of immigration to the UK in the year ending December 2013, with EU citizens accounting for 38% and British citizens 14%. The recent patterns in total net migration have been affected by changes in migration flows between EU citizens and non-EU citizens.
Immigration of EU citizens (excluding British citizens) to the UK in the year ending December 2013 was 201,000, a statistically significant increase from 158,000 in the previous year. Emigration of EU citizens from the UK remained broadly similar over the same period, meaning that net migration of EU citizens saw a statistically significant increase to 124,000, from 82,000 in the previous year.
Conversely, there was a decrease in immigration of non-EU citizens to 249,000 in the year ending December 2013 from 260,000 in the previous year. Net migration of non-EU citizens has experienced a slight (but not a statistically significant) fall to 146,000 from 157,000 in the previous year.
Why are people immigrating to the UK?
The most common reason for migrating to the UK is work. This has been the case historically, with the exception of 2009 to 2012 when study was the most common main reason for migration.
In the year ending December 2013, 177,000 people immigrated to the UK for formal study, whilst 214,000 immigrated for work-related reasons. This is a statistically significant increase from the previous year when 180,000 people immigrated for work-related reasons. Of those immigrating for work-related reasons in the year ending December 2013, 62% (132,000) came with a definite job to go to and 39% (83,000) came to look for work.
Provisional estimates from the International Passenger Survey show that 61% (125,000) of those immigrating for work-related reasons were EU citizens (excluding British citizens), whilst 21% (44,000) were non-EU citizens. Conversely, of those immigrating for formal study, 71% (122,000) were non-EU citizens and 23% (40,000) were EU citizens.
Community Veteran

@AndyH, thanks for that link. The breakdown is different to what I would have expected. We can control 47% of immigrants. That isn't to say we would stop their entry. Some would be here to work, study or to join family.
Good to see today's unemployment figures. Rate is now down to 6.4%
Community Veteran

Agree it's good news but the way pay has fallen  well behind the cost of living is not so good.
Community Veteran

Inflation to the end of June was 1.9% and wage increases were 0.6%
Inflation in June was pushed up ironically by consumer spending on clothes and food.
Community Veteran

Major's right immigrants are wonderful.
Where else would one get the cooks and cleaning staff.
Community Veteran

Why pay for cooks and cleaning staff when you can get SWMBO to do it for now't. ?
Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

Or if your a modern man
do it once or twice a week to keep on SWMBO's good side Wink
Community Veteran

Problem is the more you do the more you are expected to do, not unknown for one job to lead into another job.
I have worked harder since I retired, clearly the word retirement means different things to me and swmbo
TORPC
Grafter

I fear your not alone in the retirement quest, I am trying to prepare for it Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Can I just add that it's all well and good for JM to claim that foreigners are not interested in benefits but it was his leadership that created DLA that so many people are now claiming to supplement their lower paid benefits! Kettle and pot?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Hmmm....Did you read something different to me? In the article he doesn't say they are not interested in benefits, quite the opposite. It says...
'Not all immigrants in his experience came to Britain "to benefit from our social security system", he said.'
As for the benefits upheaval...I don't believe any political party is innocent, they have all made mistakes in attempt to juggle their diminishing budgets.