cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sir Humphrey afloat

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sir Humphrey afloat

I was just watching the news on the flooding. I can't help thinking there is an awful lot of "Yes Minister" shenanigans going on at the moment. We have Sir Humphrey say "It's not me Gov, it's the Treasury" while people suffer in the floods.  I suspect many homes have been/will be flooded as a consequence of funding politically correct Ego Projects at the cost of basic hard graft low glamour  drainage and dredging.
No doubt at some point someone said to the Treasury "You'll be sorry for cutting my funding" while continuing with nice to have projects. Let's hope the home owners start a Class Action to recover their costs plus damages.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Sir Humphrey afloat

And don`t you think the news reporting is somewhat biased?
Lets face it, the Somerset floods happened around Christmas time LAST YEAR, they are still suffering from that, but it has hardly been reported on, until this last week, when,..... suddenly,... Datchet, and other "Thames side" commuter/conservative belt property has become the main focus of the news, and, While Somerset is now being reported on, it is as a "secondary" ( comparative ) report after the "terrible" suffering of the people living near the Thames....
Community Veteran

The numbers are interesting though. And the blamestorm very sad and pointless.
The Somerset flood plain floods look spectacular but the numbers of houses is actually very low, compared to other events. Good TV?  Lips are sealed
The East Coast got hit much worse by the tidal surges a while back and the Thames Valley looks like thousands of houses flooded already.  Sad
And if you look into Europe it's just as bad.
Community Veteran

I really think there is a case to what has already been suggested by some.
That some overseas aid be diverted to overhere.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This is worth a read - I know some of you don't like the source but it is still a valid comment http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2554940/Agency-flooding-puts-greater-water-parsnips-voles-lo...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My thinking is,.... the environment agency will need to wait for the flood water to recede back to "normal" water levels in the rivers, then.... decide ( or not )... to start a dredging programme again.... however, due to the neglect over the years.... it will need at least 10 years of dredging before the rivers are again deep enough for them to drain away excess water from the land, and cope with the occasional "shower" ....
Does anyone think it will happen.... ?  I`m not ... 
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I can't help thinking there is an awful lot of "Yes Minister" shenanigans going on at the moment. images.

I think there is a touch of the "Something must be done. This is something. Therefore it must be done." going on.
David_W
Rising Star

Not trying to sound jaded in my old age, but now that there is flooding along the Thames.... how much money that was to be spent in the SW will now be diverted to the Thames area, and how much extra money will suddenly be found?  Reminds me of Katrina, I'm pretty sure that the damage caused by the recent storm in the US got major funding whilst the damage from Katrina would still be quite evident.
WTF
Grafter

There does appear to be some attempt at blame shifting going on.  I suspect some of it is interpersonal as well as inter-coalition-partner point scoring.
Of course, the people we should all be blaming for the increase in extreme weather events are the tin foil hat wearing, Climate Change/Reality Denier brigade who have managed to prevent us from doing anything about Climate Change for last 30 years because it might add a couple of quid to their power bill.  Like this flooding isn't going to add to the tax bill, house insurance prices, food prices from the affect on agriculture etc etc etc.  Of course, those people are basically the Tories, so I guess the blame is actually hitting the correct target  Wink
From what I've heard on the radio, while the first lot of dredging would be a big one, it should be as effective as it's going to be, further annual dredging would be for maintenance.  It won't be a total fix for the problem, should we get the once-in-a-century flooding for the 3rd year on the trot, though.  It might alleviate some of the flooding and speed up pumping away.  Personally, I can't see the government deciding not to do it now, though as the press have become fixated on it (because it's simplistic and easy to understand).
Of course, what everyone appears to have forgotten is that the dredging equipment for that region was apparently sold for scrap years ago .. which could be a minor inconvenience  Roll eyes
As for the relative news worthiness of Thames flooding: if it got bad it would affect WAY more people and WAY more property than the Somerset flooding - that area's densely populated.  Unfortunately, that would certainly mean that money and resources would be redirected from Somerset - that's what a limited budget means.  The same thing would be true if there was flooding in any other UK population centre.
Community Veteran

There was an interesting (short) article in the Sunday Times.
Two particular points from it:
1. The "ranting" MP talking about £31M (or whatever it was) spent by the EA on a bird sanctuary was 100% wrong, yet no counter-reporting of a more accurate position.
2. Farmers in Somerset have very recently changed farming practices (from grassland to maize IIRC) resulting in a HUGE increase in water runoff and topsoil/mud being washed every winter into the lowland plain, silting up waterways that previously carried "clean" water.
The "bird sanctuary" was actually a coastal defences scheme to protect a vulnerable village, which it has done very well apparently. A side effect of moving the coastal defences back from the sea front was to create a wetland that has also become a bird sanctuary and tourist attraction.
As the old adage goes "never let the truth get in the way of a good story". Though I expect the real truth here is still different from anything that has actually been reported.  Roll eyes
WTF
Grafter

Quite - I heard that, too
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well the good news is that with all the extra water we've been having just recently, I'm sure the water companies are just months away from announcing a water shortage, increase in bills and prosecutions for using hose pipes!
Think I'll be off to the bookies..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Thank goodness I live well up on the side of a valley. No chance of flooding up here.
If I get flooded Plusnet Towers will be under 90 metres of water.
I wonder if that means my property insurance will be low  Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Roberto0151
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
The numbers are interesting though. And the blamestorm very sad and pointless.
The Somerset flood plain floods look spectacular but the numbers of houses is actually very low, compared to other events. Good TV?  Lips are sealed
The East Coast got hit much worse by the tidal surges a while back and the Thames Valley looks like thousands of houses flooded already.  Sad
And if you look into Europe it's just as bad.

I think you can ignore Europe. The news media here are not interested in Europe unless there is a major catastrophe or someone from the U.K. is involved. (Or, of course, if a european comes here to work!)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
This is worth a read ...

It was. This kind of document if shown to be true, would be very useful for claiming compensation from the government due to knowligly changing the policy which would lead to these problems. Of course, the issue about changes in farming from grassland to maize, and the affect that has on water flow, is certainly real.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed