Did you mean: 

Sir Cliff Richard... Historic Alleged Sexual Offence against a Minor

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sir Cliff Richard... Historic Alleged Sexual Offence against a Minor

On the BBC News at One.
Alleged victim was 14 year old boy.
Police investigating sexual abuse allegation against boy in 1980s are searching Sir Cliff Richard's home in Berkshire

Eight Police Officers from South Yorkshire, which is where the alleged offence is alleged to have taken place.
He is currently out of the Country.

BBC Exclusive at the moment, they must have been pre-warned.
BBC News showed many unmarked Police cars arriving, and entering the Gated Community.
They had a News helicopter over the property before 1pm, and showed the Police Officers walking up the Gated Driveway
I think his property is the Penthouse Suite in the Property.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28790718
The search is not connected to Operation Yewtree, police said.

Remember: He is Innocent until proven Guilty, if at all.
Please be careful with your comments.

75 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: Sir Cliff Richard... Historic Alleged Sexual Offence against a Minor

I'm assuming he doesn't live there alone?
Community Veteran

I'm not surprised as insurance companies have been cracking down on the lucrative whiplash scams. Shysters are just moving on to the next easy money making mark.
I don't believe half the claims coming out of the woodwork.
It's time this country had a proper statute of limitations.
Community Veteran

Just to make clear, the police have not named who the allegations have been made against, only that a property owned by Cliff Richard (who is not living there presently) had been searched. I think it is entirely inappropriate to accuse someone of something, which is potentially libellous, when they have not been named by the police.
@ billnotben - I think you were posting on a different thread?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Unacceptable post removed
Please note that no charges have been made and the statement by the police is only that the property has been searched
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Statement by Sir Cliff http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11034225/Cliff-Richards-statement-in-full.html
"For many months I have been aware of allegations against me of historic impropriety which have been circulating online.
"The allegations are completely false. Up until now I have chosen not to dignify the false allegations with a response, as it would just give them more oxygen.
"However, the police attended my apartment in Berkshire today without notice, except it would appear to the press.
"I am not presently in the UK but it goes without saying that I will cooperate fully should the police wish to speak to me.
"Beyond stating that today's allegation is completely false it would not be appropriate to say anything further until the police investigation has concluded."
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The press should be blocked from reporting anything like this before a person is formally charged.
There have already been several instances where the press have damaged innocent peoples lives.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

I agree with you - the press is so quick to be judge and jury. The murder of Joanna Yates in 2010 and the 'trial' by certain newspapers of her landlord, Christopher Jefferies is only one example.
jim:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I was not shocked by Rolf Harris but I would be very surprised if this allegation against Cliff Richard came to anything. He does not appear to be that type to me.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There seems to be a certain element of grandstanding by the police in these investigations. Searching a property relating to events which may have occurred 35 years ago? What are they expecting to find? A video of the possible event or an unmade bed with hair from the youth? Maybe a guest book?
If no charges arise there should be a public apology to the property owner by the police commissioner for the leaks to the press.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

I think it's appalling that all these high-profile celebrities have had allegations aired so publicly. They are, after all, just allegations at present and anyone should be deemed innocent until proven otherwise. It seems the police are taking a heavy-handed approach perhaps to make up for what they failed to do 30 or more years ago Undecided
Should the police's enquiries lead to something substantial and charges pressed then, and only then, should it be made public.
I was shocked by the convictions of both Stuart Hall (who confessed) and Rolf Harris. Sadly I expect a great deal of the public will have doubts about anyone's innocence once investigations are under way Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

most probably someone just trying to get some cash to drop the case  Sad  just like the whiplash claims 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Surely some of these celebs must have remote camera's in the rooms of their numerous houses.
I would love to see just what the police get up to in these so called searches.
Infinity
Pro

I think it is partly just like the Government who "pre-release" data just to see what the Public thinks, before announcing the actual specifics.
The search is purely a blatant and not so subtle Public Appeal in my Opinion......
(I've seen it done so many times, working in TV News, before in other cases)
This is so obviously a "trawling" exercise to see if anyone else comes forwards.

The Police, and the CPS know that there is not enough evidence for a Prosecution, and probably never will be in this case, but they hope that by inducing others to come forwards, they hope to sway any Jury, if it goes to Trial, that there is no smoke without fire, as has happened in at least one other case, I cannot remember which one.