cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sir Cliff Richard... Historic Alleged Sexual Offence against a Minor

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Sir Cliff Richard... Historic Alleged Sexual Offence against a Minor

I am sure I read somewhere it was designed to give the case maximum exposure, which in this context I assume means to maybe encourage other people to come forward if there are any. Cannot find the article I read though.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

The BBC were already at Cliff Richard's home before the police arrived and apparently, their interview with the detective was recorded prior to the search.
I am sure this is not the last we've heard of this (in terms of the police procedure).
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

There was even a helicopter overhead taking pictures  Shocked
Edit: Apologies, the picture could have been taken from a roof top
Highlighted
Fixes: 459

Cliff Richard is allegedly not best pleased that the media were aware of the raid before he was.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Front page of today's Metro
Sir Cliff's fury over child sex police swoop

Sir Cliff noted: 'The Police attended my apartment in Berkshire today without notice, except, it would appear, to the press.'
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: PlusComUK
The search is purely a blatant and not so subtle Public Appeal in my Opinion......
(I've seen it done so many times, working in TV News, before in other cases)
This is so obviously a "trawling" exercise to see if anyone else comes forwards.
The Police, and the CPS know that there is not enough evidence for a Prosecution, and probably never will be in this case, but they hope that by inducing others to come forwards, they hope to sway any Jury, if it goes to Trial, that there is no smoke without fire, as has happened in at least one other case, I cannot remember which one.

As I thought...
Officer says more people have come forward with information in past 24 hours
But they may not be complainants.
Sir Cliff is expected to return to the UK shortly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2725752/Sir-Cliff-Richard-pictured-performing-stadium-rally-...

Otherwise the search would seem to be fruitless as Sir Cliff Richard bought his apartment in the prestigious Charters complex in Sunningdale, Berkshire, for £3.1million in 2008

Quote from: Anotherone
There was even a helicopter overhead taking pictures  Shocked
Edit: Apologies, the picture could have been taken from a roof top Embarrassed

What I saw on the BBC News was definitely Video taken from a Helicopter, as the Helicopter moved around the location and showed the Police Officers as they walked under a part of the property, any stills probably taken from the video footage.

Part of this footage is shown in the article.
Credited to ITN News

Highlighted
Grafter

The rumours have been floating around for months.
I'm sure the police have been investigating for months, and have got to the part of the investigation where a property search is the next step.
as for the leak, that could have come from anywhere.
The magistrates clerk, a PC SO who knows.
But one things for sure, the magistrates don't just issue a warrant on a whim.
As I said before, there's no smoke without fire.
Cliff Richard is another celeb from decades ago with links to all the rest.
Who's next then?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Innocent until proven guilty. No smoke without fire until and IF he is charged. The Police clearly have to investigate allegations. The search will have been fruitless because there would have been nothing to find.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Police are definitely working to a Script...
South Yorkshire Police have admitted working with the media before searching Sir Cliff Richard's home in Berkshire.
They said when they were contacted by BBC journalists with information about an investigation, they decided to "work with them in order to protect the integrity" of that probe.
A press helicopter was up before the police even arrived.
They added: "Since the search took place a number of people have contacted the police to provide information and we must acknowledge that the media played a part in that, for which we are grateful".

http://news.sky.com/story/1319369/police-admission-over-cliff-richard-home-search
Highlighted
Grafter

In this case
It will be who can tell the most convincing lies to get compensation money that they are not owed at any cost Sad
It make me so Sad that Sir Cliff could be accused of such a thing
Highlighted
Grafter

To be fair I imagine some people said the same about Glitter, Saville and Hall. Time will tell.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I would hate to be on a jury that has to make decisions like this, in the case of the 3 named above plus Harris there was clear evidence they were guilty otherwise it is just one persons word against another and if there is any doubt it has to be a not guilty verdict.
Highlighted
Grafter

While the jury system has its limitations (and jurors themselves have a difficult job) it is favourable in my mind to the system in, say, South Africa. The thing is that even in the case of Richard's there may be forthcoming evidence that sways public opinion against him as in other similar cases. The media exposure is a difficult issue; I have massive problems with the concept of trial by media but I am also aware that this type of case sometimes goes unpunished because victims are scared of the idea of a trial or that they will be labelled a liar. The exposure may encourage other victims (if they exist) to come forward which improves the chances of a prosecution if one is warranted. It's a fine line to tread IMO but if people come forward with false accusations and an ulterior motive I would hope they are weeded out by the justice system, even if only at trial.
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: myredhotcar
if people come forward with false accusations and an ulterior motive I would hope they are weeded out by the justice system, even if only at trial.
Yeah good luck with that in a country where your now guilty until proven innocent and even with little to no evidence you can be sent down.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

At least we have scientific evidence such as DNA and video evidence that was not available years ago which helps to prove things one way or another.
One thing we should be careful of using is the expert witness as their evidence can be slanted towards whoever is paying them