cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sink Waste Advice.

oldgeezer
Grafter

Sink Waste Advice.

Some years ago I replaced our inset stainless steel sink unit with a premium product at considerable expense.
The sink came with one of those large diameter holes designed to take a waste disposer.  Not being in favour of such things I fitted a basket waste unit.
This has one big disadvantage. The plastic bowl that fits below the strainer provides a annular space of about 1 cm which continually fills with evil smelling gunge. The sink overflow connects into this gap but introducing bleach / disinfectant into the overflow doesn't shift the gunge. It is not possible to introduce anything through the strainer holes to get at it and of course the stuff is above the trap and reeks. The only way to clean it is to take the thing to pieces, a horrible job,  but within a week it's as bad again.
Does anyone know where I can buy a normal waste fitting with large enough top & bottom flanges to fit the sink. I'm not really bothered about an overflow.
I'm getting it in the neck from SWMBO who has a very keen sense of smell, but don't really want to replace the sink.
Oldgeezer
7 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Sink Waste Advice.

Buy a waste disposer?  Grin Grin Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

As far as I know the standard large diameter drain should fit like this Basket Strainer
oldgeezer
Grafter

Oldjim.
thats the one we've got at the moment. The problem is the gap between the stainless bit and the plastic bowl that fits below it. What I'm after is a non strainer type waste that would fit in the larger hole.
A Fox Is Evil.
We had a waste disposer in the last home, It stunk just as badly. As I said my wife can pin-point a nasty niff at 50 metres.
I'm looking for something with smooth walls down to the trap water level.
Oldgeezer
Community Veteran

You could try putting a cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by a cup of vinegar (preferably warm) or a solution of citric acid.  Leave it for about 10 minutes and then rinse it through.  The acid and alkali react to create a foam that cleans out the drain.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Odd we don't find it fills up with gunge or smells and looking at a spare one - I ordered the wrong colour - the taper at the bottom of the bowl is such that nothing collects there.
One thing which can create nasty smells is if the connector to the dishwasher or washing machine for that matter feeds into the pipe just below the bowl like this one
http://www.screwfix.com/p/brushed-stainless-steel-sink-strainer-waste/74806
oldgeezer
Grafter

I think that that is the answer.
The one we have has a virtually horizontal bottom to the plastic bowl and looking at illustrations of other makes,  the bowl is much more tapered.
We don't have the washer plumbed into the sink waste, it's in a different location.
I shall look around for a waste with a tapered bowl and try that , thank you Oldjim.
Oldgeezer
dick:quote