cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Singers at their best

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Singers at their best

Anybody watching "The Proms" aspiring X Factor watch and learn.
Fabulous show.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Singers at their best

Unfortunately only caught the last half an hour of it but what I saw was very good.  Good performers and a joy to be able to hear what they were singing  Wink
Community Veteran

And Americans too!!
The two black singers were particularly good, his rendition of "Old man river" was excellent. The orchestral piece "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" was terrific.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

I found it excellent too - thought all the singers were good, you could hear the words [and I am hard of hearing] and loved the tap dancing at end!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
And Americans too!!

Yes the Americans do this very well.  There is still a strong following for this type of music in the US.
nadger
Rising Star

Wasn't that a fantastic 2 hours  Smiley
Just googled the really bubbly redhead, Anna-Jane Casey, who did the encore number.
Born in Salford and always performed in UK.
Community Veteran

Curiously, I would rather watch and listen to a "compilation" concert like this than sit through a single musical show. Singers are not universally good actors as well, and more often than not tend to shout their lines at one another rather in the way the early talkie movies did, making "tender" moments hysterically funny in my opinion.  Although modern sound production techniques has eased this somewhat.  

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Hmm.  I must be alone then?  As a great fan of Musicals, and having Stage Managed most of the major repertoire,  I sat down ready to be enthralled Cheesy
I found the pace of many of the pieces to be a bit plodding with more of an intent to get all the notes right rather than 'getting into' the context of the piece.  Overall I became bored and switched off after about an hour.
Compare this with the Yeomen of the Guard concert earlier in the week and it was a definite case of chalk and cheese.  This was a truly great concert, well sung, well acted, balanced and sympathetic orchestra........ and I'm not really a huge G+S fan.  Of the two concerts I was more looking forward to the 'Musicals' evening, so just a tad disappointed Sad
Maurice
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

And Americans too!!
The two black singers were particularly good, ...

Elizabeth Llewellyn was born in London and has Jamaican parents.
http://elizabethllewellyn.com/biography
Rodney Earl Clarke also born in London "of Jamaican origin".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Clarke_%28bass-baritone%29
Javert
Grafter

I thought the whole concert was excellent throughout - and on a par with the orchestra’s previous Proms appearances.  My only disappointment was that the “West Side Story” was not included in the recording -  apparently the BBC had difficulty clearing the rights to include Sierra Boggess and Julian Ovenden's 'West Side Story' Balcony Scene in the BBC Two broadcast.  Of the principals, only Sierra Boggess and Seth McFarlane are American.
I think that the pace of an orchestra’s playing (Music Theatre)  when in Concert - is different to that of a “pit orchestra” when “in performance” with the show.
Community Veteran

Ok, seems I dropped one in accusing some of the singers of being American. I stand corrected.
Pleased to see though that so many were born in the UK.

Community Veteran

The traditional musicals are still very popular.  Carousel is currently at the Barbican and Oklahoma and South Pacific have also been on the London stage recently.
Javert
Grafter

Ok, seems I dropped one in accusing some of the singers of being American. I stand corrected.
Pleased to see though that so many were born in the UK.

Petlew - I was not trying to make any accusations of incorrect information . . . if it came across that way, I apologise. I simply added the names of the two Americans. And, despite being a great fan of musical theatre . . .prior to checking - I only knew that Seth McFarlane is American!
Let's hope we can a few more concerts on TV of this sort before the next Proms.
Community Veteran

No offence taken, I know very little about the artists involved in the concert other than that I thought their voices were effortlessly superb. My comment was based loosely on the couple of interval interviews who were American, I simply put two and two together and made it five.
But lets not forget the wonderful orchestra as well.

Community Veteran

Yes, a wonderful performance and I hope they do it again Smiley