cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sinatra - 'My Way'

Community Veteran

Sinatra - 'My Way'

Another bit of trivia for the music lovers.  Frank Sinatra's 'My Way' is 40 years old.  It's possibly one of the most copied songs ever with numerous artists recording it over the year. 
26 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Sinatra - 'My Way'

Don't know why it is copied so much - couldn't do with it myself. However, we all have different tastes (thank goodness).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It was written (lyrics) by Paul Anker (and 3 others who collaborated with the music) in 1967. Sinatra recorded it December 1968.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I think it was originally German.  Paul Anker wrote the English words to it.
James
Grafter

French according to random breakfast show I was watching before I came into work.
Community Veteran

Perhaps I can have a crack at settling it:
Lyrics: Paul Anker, Gilles Thibault
Music: Jaques Revaux, Claude Francois
So the French connection looks fairly comprehensive. Paul Anker is not above taking all the credit for it though, he was interviewed on TV last year I think it was, when this came up, I don't recall him mentioning the other three.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

Teh French connection goes further then that as My Way based on a French song "Comme d'habitude" composed by Claude François and Jacques Revaux.
Comme d’habitude (French for As usual) is a French song written in 1967 by Claude François and Jacques Revaux with lyrics by Claude François and Gilles Thibaut.
Originally titled For Me with lyrics in English, the song was initially refused by numerous artists, most notably Michel Sardou, until Hervé Vilard finally agreed to record it. However, Revaux was not satisfied with Vilard's version of the song and approached Claude François, asking that he record it. François accepted but asked that an underlying theme of a couple in a strained relationship be included, in reference to his recent breakup with fellow French musician France Gall. Revaux agreed and with some rewriting from Gilles Thibaut the song became Comme d'habitude and was and released by François in 1968.
Paul Anka, upon hearing the song while watching French television in Paris, acquired the rights to it (for free) for his American production company. After rewriting English lyrics (which are unrelated to the original) Frank Sinatra gave a cross-Atlantic version of it in 1969 under the title My Way.
The tune of Comme d'habitude is also the musical basis for David Bowie's 1973 single Life On Mars.
James
Grafter

Thanks itsme.  That's what they were saying on telly this morning Smiley
Community Veteran

Sorry, you're right.  I got my countries mixed up. Sad
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

The tune of Comme d'habitude is also the musical basis for David Bowie's 1973 single Life On Mars.

As illustrated here
; (after the instrumental break).
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

For the musicians among us, its not a particularly complex piece (as sung by Sinatra) the vocal line barely covers half an octave. Which is probably due to its French origins, who as a nation (and there some notable exceptions) can't sing.

Fixes: 105

I'm with Poppy on this one  Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, Poppy, I agree too.
In fact, if you really listen to the words, and work out what the "hidden meanings" are, you will come to the conclusion that it is full of self opionated drivel, glorifying the singers lifestyle, and giving a role model for the teenage generation of the time, to grow up with the attitude.... "I`ll do it my way.    regardless of anyone elses feelings, or the law of the land "  ....? ? ? ? 
Bringing about the total lack of respect for fellow human beings, and authority in general, that we have been experiencing since then.....
Or am I wrong?
N/A

The song is so dreary that I have never paid much attention to the lyrics. However, I have to agree that this does seem to be the case these days.  Sad
Javert
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
For the musicians among us, its not a particularly complex piece (as sung by Sinatra) the vocal line barely covers half an octave. Which is probably due to its French origins, who as a nation (and there some notable exceptions) can't sing.

Petlew: I’m rather surprised by your comment, as a musician, that in the song “My Way” - “the vocal line barely covers half an octave”.  I think you’ll find Sinatra’s vocal line in the original recording has a range just over one octave. 
I have a Song Album of Sinatra’s songs and the aforementioned “My Way” has a range of one-and-a-half octaves. The treble line starts on the B-flat below Middle C and goes up to F2.
I am currently working on this song with a pupil (baritone) and whilst his top note is, comfortably, an E, we’re working through it to try and get a top F out of him.  If he does achieve it – and I’m sure he will, it will probably be through fear!  Grin