cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver Birch

myredhotcar
Grafter

Silver Birch

There is a silver birch where I live on a shared piece of land. Toward the end of the last hot dry spell the leaves drooped and yellowed and in the past week they have began falling off the tree at an alarming rate.
The tree is in very shallow ground on a lawn that is mostly dead from lack of water. Does the tree need water or is this normal? Do any of you have silver birches and if so how are they holding up?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Silver Birch

No problems with the one in our garden; it's been there at least 40 years.
myredhotcar
Grafter

This tree is only around a decade old; I don't remember the leaves dropping this early. The person the land is shared with is an odd bird and when I mentioned watering it to him he got a bit defensive for some odd reason. He said it's entirely normal for a silver birch and he apparently studied at an agricultural college. 
I disagree and he is going on holiday tomorrow so I think I will get the hose on it then
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

At least that will improve the lawn.  Grin

myredhotcar
Grafter

The difficult neighbour has recently planted an apple tree in the centre of the dead lawn and the leaves on that are all curled up. Not sure why he gets defensive if I am offering to do the work myself and use my water.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if your not sure about it the best advice would be to contact your local council, they can then provide you with a free assessment of the tree and offer to remove it if its posing a hazard (or if its in your neighbours land issue him a notice to have works done to make it safe)
if you just water it and the land is dry then there's a chance it will weaken the root ball and fall over if a gust or high wind, the leaves do fall off them but not normally until much later in the year and its clearly not doing very well
so whilst getting the busybodies in might be a nause its worth it if taking action however well intentioned could land you facing high bills or fines
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQqy7ghfBgw ; not silver birch but close enough I guess, according to the obvious product placement beer advert, it needs a good watering
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Maybe he's built a secret underground dungeon.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
myredhotcar
Grafter

@ Gus: I'm going to guerilla water it when he's away, that seals it. It will also mean there's little chance of him getting offended.
@ AlaricAdair: If - out of all the people I know - I had to pick the one I thought most likely to own a dungeon it would probably be him. As to whether it would be a traditional, hell-hole in a castle type dungeon or the more modern 'smells of rubber' variant I will not be drawn but we do not live near a castle.
nanotm
Pro

more likely he planted the tree on top of a body and that's why its not doing too well .....birch likes water and ash not festering corpse's in arid conditions
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Tell him you had a lot of rain.

myredhotcar
Grafter

@ nanotm: funnily enough that was my initial hunch, but I ruled it out with ouija.
@vilefoxdemonofdoom: it seems we may be genuinely getting rain so should be easy to overplay
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Maybe a blessing in disguise, Silver Birch are one of the worst for hay fever sufferers at this time of year. Once kept the score-book for a cricket match on a ground surrounded by Silver Birch on a very hot day in late June, had to be driven home as I couldn't drive, my face had bloated up so much it severely restricted my vision for driving my self.
Most trees will "search" for underground water through their root system.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
WTF
Grafter

There was something on the news yesterday about autumn having come extremely early this year - basically, nature's 'clock' has been thrown out by the extremely mild winter and early spring.  I know we were getting spring flowers in our garden in January.  One of trhe presenters said he was getting next year's spring flowers coming through now.
Might be related to that  Undecided
myredhotcar
Grafter

@ Petlew: That sounds like a seriously bad case of hayfever; I get it but mainly grasses and largely only the milder symptoms.
@ WTF: I've heard this too (I also didn't notice a distinct winter or a distinct spring this time). The tree has had water and a night of heavy rain and it appears the browning has halted. All the brown leaves have dropped but the remaining leaves are staying green.