Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silicone Sealant

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Silicone Sealant

Yet again I find myself online buying another new tube of Silicone Sealant. No matter what I do to try and preserve them they always dry out between uses and it's such a waste.

Does anyone know of a way to prevent this?

4 REPLIES 4
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Silicone Sealant

Presumably, you are just using it for one job... then putting it a way... without removing the nozzle... ?

If you remove the nozzle, and clean it out, then plug the hole in the main barrel, make sure it`s airtight... clean the nozzle out, and put all together in a sealed type plastic bag...

Not sure if that will work.. but gotta be worth a try ! .Wink

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Just covering the end of that nozzle never seems to work. I unscrew and clean it for next time and have cap that screws over the end of the tube. Keep it indoors somewhere cool helps as well especially if you have a really cold shed or garage.

They definitely have a limited lifetime if not stored correctly even unopened. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 186

@Mook 

It depends on how long you keep them. You can often get away  with just changing the nozzle, these are available quite cheap, see. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pack-Silicone-Tube-Nozzle-Caps/dp/B01N5D697P/ref=asc_df_B01N5D697P/?tag=goo...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 183

If you remove the nozzle, and clean it out, then plug the hole in the main barrel, make sure it`s airtight... clean the nozzle out, and put all together in a sealed type plastic bag...

yes, that works. I remove the nozzle, cover the hole with a double layer of clingfilm and then screw the nozzle back on to seal it.

I don't find it necessary to clean out the nozzle, ok , so it solidifies when left, but you can usually poke the whole solid mess with a screwdriver when you come to reuse it. The solid chunk doesn't seen to adhere to the sides of the nozzle.