cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silicone Polish on Glass

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Silicone Polish on Glass

More precisely,.... how to remove it?......

I am having my car valeted in the next couple of weeks, and one of the items on the "menu" is that the glass ( windscreen and other windows, ) will be cleaned and polished... ( i.e. squirted with a silicone polish and buffed up ).  however, I don`t want any silicone on my windscreen.... inside or out... 

I know the guy will use it for cleaning polishing the dash trim and door trim... and inevitably, it will transfer some to the windows.... so I am asking, all you knowlegable car care experts...

How do I remove silicone polish from the interior and exterior of the windscreen..   ( side and rear are not so much a problem )...

Yeah,  I know... I will tell the guy I don`t want the windscreen silicone polished... but  .... overspray will affect it...

9 REPLIES
Lurch
Rising Star

Re: Silicone Polish on Glass

I just bought a van that must have had several tins of silicone spray emptied into the cab which has pretty much ruined it completely.

However, before I go off on a rant about that, household kitchen cleaner type stuff will remove it, I had to use it to clean the steering wheel as an urgent immediate event so I could actually turn corners! I used whatever was under my sink, Dettol anti-bacterial kitchen cleaner of some description as it happened. I will probably do the rest of the cab in due course, diluted kitchen cleaner in warm water should do the job rather than tediously spraying everything in sight with a the aforementioned bottle.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I recall that someone on the forum was enquiring about what could be put on windscreens to make them water repellant and one particular product was highly recommended, it included something to clean your screen which also had the ability to remove any older windscreen product that had been used.

Sorry I cannot be more precise but others with a better memory than me might be able to provide more details.

Lurch
Rising Star

Rain-X at a guess.

Community Veteran

Yes, Rain-X is a product I used to sell many years ago, in motor accessory shops.however,.... clean glass is a superb water repellant..... that is why it is used for windscreens !!!! ..  if it is clean, then the wipers can work properly to clear the excess water... if it has any "polish" or grease, then the wipers will only make things worse... even with Rain-X ...

I am more concerned about the interior, as this is notoriously difficult to clear when condensation happens, during cold mornings. etc.  having a pretty well cleaned internal windscreen makes this much easier... hence my query...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Ultra Fine 0000 steel wool is perfect for this. Gets rid of crusty bug bodies as well and leaves a nice slick surface.

Community Veteran

Hmm..... Don`t think so , Mook.... ! ! !...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I knew I should have included this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC24E2YRh1U

Lurch
Rising Star

of

*have

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yes it was rain-x I was thinking of.

Not sure if it would work but some youtube videos recommend a mix of baking soda and white vinegar to clean headlight glass.