cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent drill teams

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Silent drill teams

I don't know if you like this kind of thing, but I do...

I was watching some US Marines silent drill team videos, and very good they are too.

So I thought I'd look up if we Brits can do any better, and I think the RAF Queens Colour Squadron can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0tFJWq2-Y

I expect someone can come up with some US links?

Er! anyone know why my subject changed itself to "Cordless drill batteries" (edited back to where it was now)

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Silent drill teams

Yes similar, but not the same. I enjoyed watching the London 2012 ceremonies.

Wow "Cordless Drill Batteries", disappointed about that. That video must have been fascinating Smiley

Fixes: 47

I think the opening sequence to the movie A Few Good Men is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnFYSS7whUE

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@petlew Ah yes!..... them were the days....   I was in a display team, in training, in the Navy... we had to get up 30 mins before everyone else, get dressed, off to breakfast, and then do 2 hours training, every morning, before the rest of the classes we had to do during the day... and then after "tea"  at around 16:30 do another 2 hours training.... took us about 5 or 6 weeks before we were good enough to go "out and about" doing displays... but very enjoyable to be a part of it all, once the gruelling training part was over,... cos we got to go out on coach trips on Saturdays, when the rest of the class had to stay on the training camp !!...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

US marine silent drill platoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXa39XyP6q8

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Thanks rongtw. That's not one of those I had watched. Oddly in one of those I did one member of the troop was having a delayed timing problem, and was slightly behind everybody else for a minute or two and stood out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately he was on the camera side.

Some might argue that the US Marine is the more difficult routine as it is "done" at what UK military would call "slow time". From my limited drill training I remember to be done correctly slow march is far harder than quick march, which the RAF Colour Squadron work at.

However, both weapons used are very heavy, the British FN being used is extremely heavy for normal drill let alone for exhibition. British forces incorporated a "Change Arms" to allow the weapon to be moved from one shoulder to the other because of the weight. The US weapon is I think a vintage Springfield bolt-action. 

@shutter, did you climb the mast? There is no way I could have done that, I have no head for heights. However I have heard the highest climbers were often afraid of heights.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

@petlew  i prefer my drill  to be loud Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJKtLag-Gk

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

For those who prefer not to disturb their neighbours.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Manning the Mast, HMS Ganges https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaiRLNLuSGQ

There another for HMS Dadelous but is not as high or complex.

Makes me feel dizzy just watching the video.

Community Veteran

Not entirely without its problems though: http://www.godfreydykes.info/GANGES%20BOYS%20-%20death%20through%20misadventure1.htm%20(2012_11_19%2...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

petlew wrote:

@shutter, did you climb the mast? There is no way I could have done that, I have no head for heights. However I have heard the highest climbers were often afraid of heights.

Yes, it was compulsory to climb the mast at Ganges,... but only as far as the "devils elbow"... ( as seen in the video at about 10 seconds )...  and you had to go around the outside, rather than up through the rigging, and then returned down the other "outside" to the ground level.... there was a safety netting suspended all around the lower part of the mast, about  8 feet above ground...  I used to climb up there on a sunny Sunday afternoon ( rec time )... to write letters home !... but have since developed a fear of heights.. even standing on a chair, makes my knees go ... and as for watching those "scary" shots in films.... oh deary me... no... I shut my eyes to them ! ! !..