Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silence Please

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Silence Please

Long Island man faces jail for laughing too loudly in own home
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A man from Long Island, New York, is facing up to 30 days in jail and a $500 (333 pounds) fine after a neighbour complained to police he was laughing too loudly, his lawyer said on Wednesday.
Police issued Robert Schiavelli, 41, two tickets for disturbing the peace for laughing out the window of his home in Rockville Centre on Long Island at about 6 p.m. on February 12 and February 13, his lawyer said.

More Here
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Silence Please

Shocked  Lips are sealed
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Reading the report in full rather than just the first sentence...the offender was allegedly regularly hanging out of his window mocking and laughing at his neighbour's disability. I'm guessing that is was easier to prove a charge of noise nuisance than harassment.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Not true, The bloke getting charged for laughing has the disability and Its he that Is mocked.
Schiavelli said the neighbour regularly mocks his disability, and the best response to those taunts is laughter.
"He just ridicules me all the time and the only thing I can come up with is laughing," Schiavelli said in a telephone interview.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Oh dear it is I who am guilty of skim reading.  Embarrassed
(You can understand why I have difficulty keeping track of who's who out of a cast of a dozen in a TV drama when I cannot remember who's who out of two names in a short article!)
The story is still unclear to me in that a judge "declined a motion to dismiss the case". That doesn't sound like a verdict. Does that mean the case is yet to be heard? Perhaps "30 days in jail and a $500 fine " are the maximum penalties for the charges that have been brought.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Its what he faces, he hasn't been charged yet as far as I am aware, perhaps the judge wants the other person In for taunting this fella.