cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sign of the times...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sign of the times...

On the short stretch of the M25 that I have used every day for the last 4 years between J 20 and 21A. Which, is currently being widened. We used to bumble along with a couple of tatty worn direction signs on bent poles. With the ongoing "upgrade" there are in the less than couple of miles no less than 8 overhead gantries with footings and vertical struts for at least 4 more pending and, 3 "golf" stick information signs in each direction.
Somebody must have more money than sense.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Sign of the times...

no doubt they will be sticking more cameras on to pay for said gantries...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

..and I was reading a report last night saying the high level of road signs could cause accidents Undecided
csogilvie
Grafter

As adiewoo implied, it wouldn't surprise me if those gantries were for the variable speed limits and cameras that the M25 seems to employ...
I didn't relise how large gantries were until I passed one lying at the side of the road on possibly the same stretch of the M25 on Saturday!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
..and I was reading a report last night saying the high level of road signs could cause accidents Undecided

I've also seen similar reports in the news and on motoring websites etc. It seems these crazy idiots in charge of our highways cannot comprehend human limits of concentration. Local highways around here are just as bad.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It was a bit slow going this morning, so I had time to review the numbers: There "only" 7 completed gantries (which must represent a cost saving from yesterday!!) But, there are footings and uprights for ten more!! In fairness 4 of these are for one side of the carriageway only as the central reservation is quite substantial at these points.
Quote from: cso
I didn't relise how large gantries were until I passed one lying at the side of the road on possibly the same stretch of the M25 on Saturday!

Indeed they are. Near J 19 just before Christmas, a gi-normous one was laying on the hard shoulder like some kind of prone prehistoric lizard, that would have to cross 8 lanes of carriageway, 2 hard shoulders and the on-slip for J 19...pretty large piece of gantry.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.