Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Siemens integrated washing machine not spinning properly

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Siemens integrated washing machine not spinning properly

Hi
So this has been a problem that we've always had and it's whenever there's a heavy load.
So for instance if we needed to wash a bathmat - you'd put it onto wash - however at the end of the wash it is still soaking wet.  I put it on spin, still soaking wet.  It takes several attempts of putting the washer onto the spin function in order to get it not from soaking to damp and easy to dry on radiator etc...
This is so annoying and electricity consuming - the model number (from looking at google images) - WI14S440GB
Certainly not happy when I paid £800 for it!!!
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 121

Re: Siemens integrated washing machine not spinning properly

How long have you had it?
If less than 6 years (5 in Scotland) then contact the seller and explain the issue. If they are unwilling to assist then tell them you are getting a report from an independent engineer. If that shows it is an inherent fault then it must be repaired or replaced.
I did this earlier when I had a problem with the spin on my 3 year-old Hotpoint washing machine and Argos replaced it with a new one of better spec and price Smiley
And they had to pay back the cost of the independent report.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You might just drop into the conversation, that it was bought under the regulations of the "Sale of goods act"... and therefore " must last for a "reasonable amount of time"... and also be  "of Merchantable quality"...  Wink
Community Veteran

Probably a faulty tilt switch (if the load is off-balance, this tilt switch will not allow the washer to spin until it's balanced itself properly, if the switch is stuck on "off-balace" state, then it'll never spin), though I don't know if that's integrated into something expensive in your modern washer, I have an old (has to be 14+ years) washer that's so basic it's easily repaired, well, aside from when I recently replaced the drum spider and bearings, the former was easy, the latter, took 3 hours to bash the old bearings out...  Shocked
That reminds me, need to buy a new belt for the washer...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Check there's nothing blocking the pump first. So many spin faults are caused by failure to pump out all the water.
If you can, UNPLUG FROM THE MAINS tilt the machine back so it balances to not drop back onto to you. Locate the pump, try spinning the cooling fan on the rear of the pump, it should be free and easy to spin, if it isn't suspect there's something in the pump that shouldn't be.
Place a washing up bowl under the pump, remove with a suitable tool the large hose from the front of the pump impeller housing, with any luck the blockage will be visible in the housing.
Popular items in pumps are:
Socks
Handkerchiefs
Coins (can do incredible damage to the drum if they get caught edge-wise in the space between the drum and outer tub, this is most often the reason that clothes are mysteriously torn after washing)
And particularly bra wires, Ask any female members of the household if they have lost a bra wire recently, you'll be surprised how many get lost in washing machines.
Failing the pump itself the drain hose itself may be blocked, much more difficult to deal with. Best way, detach the drain hose take it into the garden and flush it out with a garden hos
Edit: Oh you said it is integrated, that makes life much more difficult, but doesn't change the principle that the pump maybe blocked. You may just have to dismantle the kitchen to get at it!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I agree with twocvbloke. The load will not spin if it is not balanced. I have a Whirlpool and sometimes with heavy loads the final spin cycle won't work. If I open the door and re-balance the load it works fine.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

The washer spins clothes and light items fine, it is struggling to spin towels, bathmats or anything heavy.
I hope the pump isn't blocked as I can't be dismantling the kitchen now  Undecided
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

Quote from: NorthEasterner
or anything heavy.

Faulty tilt switch then
Community Veteran

The next time you have a problem just re-balance the load and see if it solves the problem.
Community Veteran

When I was working on these things many years ago, it was known that the most important speed the drum revolves at  (it was called "distribute") was about 80 to 85 rpm which layers the washing evenly around the inside of the drum, but doesn't actually remove much water.
If this speed is not happening and the machine tries to spin from a standing start, at worst much damage can occur, at best if your machine is fitted with a "tilt switch" it will keep stopping and starting for the duration without ever achieving full or any real speed. So check that speed or something like it is happening before spin.
Also from you're OP you mention washing a bath mat, do you mean on its own?, bath mats are highly absorbent and very heavy when soaking wet, if it is alone in the drum, it stands no chance of being evenly layered around the drum...answer, put several heavy bath towels in with it to wash, this should ensure the load is balanced evenly for spinning.
When I was working in R&D for a large appliance manufacturer, we would test with a 5lb block of hard rubber around 6 inches x 12inches and set it to spin, and stand well back. The results could be spectacular.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

In case you're interested, the object of the test was that the results of a violent out-of-balance spin was that everything was contained within the machine shell.
In practice, it was often found when a machine was located quite tightly within a space between kitchen cabinets, a machine spinning out-of-balance and jumping around is quite capable of damaging the surrounding cabinets.
Which is why of course tilt switches are fitted.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Yes it's just the one bathmat alone on spin.
You would need repeat this several times in order to get it rinsed out.
Regards
NE
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
The results could be spectacular.

They certainly can... Grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vROdVsU_K80
Community Veteran

I built my own washing machine controller once - not as easy as it looks !
Community Veteran

Uhmm!! I built our first front loader out of (new) spare parts, the most difficult part to obtain was a complete wiring loom, which were then not in the spares inventory, fortunately all the connectors were, so the machine ended up wired (carefully) in three colours plus earth.
The only parts I reused from a scrap machine were the wheels (they were on wheels in those days) the door hinges and the concrete counter weight and mounting bolts (the company liked to call it "high density material")
Took a while to do but it worked very well for many years.