cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutting down Windows 8

Fixes: 47

Shutting down Windows 8

I was watching QVC where they were selling an Acer laptop with Windows 8 in stalled.
The presenter and the 'techie' were talking about the many wonderful features of W8 when the presenter asked the 'techie' "how do you shut it down?"
The 'techie' eventually showed him and us how to do it.
Hover mouse over top right, drop down 'Charms'
Click on 'Settings' Undecided
Click 'Power'
Why have they hidden the method of shutting down your computer more so than W7.
Do they believe all people will leave their computers running permanently?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Shutting down Windows 8

Thats probably what they're trying to encourage yes - leaving them on continuously.
Funny thing that.. computers are boxes full of electronics and electronics are known to (very rarely) go up in smoke. Not to mention I think most household insurance policies are void if you leave stuff turned on overnight / when out. That includes the cordless phone you have powered off the mains, the lightbulb, presumably the mains power usage meters that many energy companies are promoting.. Technically you're leaving your electric meter turned on unless you totally cut the mains  Crazy
Slight tangent there but I think you can see what I'm getting at. Routers, computers, monitors, printers.. the new electronic age seems to be suggesting we have them all turned on 24/7 so we can be continually connected to the world yet there are many other implications to be considered expecially in an age where we're being encouraged to save energy and the national grid is cutting the available reserve power.
I can't help but wonder how much the average households and the nations electricity consumption has gone up with routers that are turned on 24/7 since broadband has become widespread.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

No computers on overnight but kit I have tells me I am using around 200w during the night which includes various items like a security light and the TV on standby.
Community Veteran

And Fridge Freezer.. I expect that alone would invlidate many insurance policies in the event of a fire!
Talking of energy consumption though, I've often wondered how much energy the actual leccy meter itself uses.

Allegedly the meter usage is factored out of the reading.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

On mine the sender is battery powered, and the display unit uses about 2W, so about a year+ to use up 1 unit. (<20p)
David_W
Rising Star

The super secret super fast super trick super shutdown super fast (it's really super!) should be.... press the On/Off button, a modern bios (though ACPI) will tell the OS "yo dude, shut down command......" and turn the PC off.  But don't tell anyone, it's a secret  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Nah power button held down for about 10 sec = POWER OFF NOW! real secret when your pc hangs again.
Community Veteran

@HB, I'm with you on that.  Done it a few times in the past.
David_W
Rising Star

Nah, that's old skool thinking that is, 10 seconds is almost an eternity in the modern age, it's 2.1 seconds to lean over and flip the power switch on the PSU, see, I've just saved you 7.9 seconds... spend that time err, running disk check after turning it back on  Grin

At least they haven't done away with Ctrl Alt Delete.......yet.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

This reminds of what they did in GNOME 3, but "Power Off" has been put back on the menu in 3.6.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Attention Strat.....  ( and anyone else ).... spotted this little gem
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108621.msg929400.html#msg929400
Don`t know if it works.... I`m running Vista... and you just click on "shut down" and it works ! ! ! ..... Cheesy
Community Veteran

Win 8 is the same as Vista. It's the first of a new redesign thats not really going to have everything worked out. I think 7 is great but Vista really was pants.
I think I'll be waiting for Win9 when they've got everything sussed after unofficially listening to peoples feedback and grumbles without admitting they got it wrong  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I must be the only person who has no problems with VIsta... ! Don`t know what you are all on about... works for me...
(edit edit edit )
So did 3.1...... xp... w2000 prof etc.!...