cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shropshire Council to dismiss all staff in pay cut

Community Veteran

Re: Shropshire Council to dismiss all staff in pay cut

Sorry Oldjim, I can only speak from experience.  My point was, how do they compare jobs which have no direct comparison in the private sector.  I also maintain that "hours worked" is a red herring.  It's up there with "local government workers can retire at 60, but people in the private sector have to wait until they're 65 to get their pension". Well guess what; local government officers don't get their state pension until 65 the same as everyone else, and according to a minister i heard on radio 4 a while ago, the "average" age of retirement between the public and private sectors were almost identical.
This government has done nothing but snipe at the people in government that actually do the work, in order to detract attention from the people who actually caused the mess in the first place, and the pension hikes that MPs are voting for themselves.  An MP only has to be in parliament for 5 years, and they've got a pension for life - that's gold-plated!
And the comparisons with the PMs pay are spurious.  They don't take into account the use of a central London home rent and tax free, the use of a huge country house and estate rent and tax free, no transport costs, virtually no living costs at all in fact, and guaranteed a huge pension no matter how long they stay in the job.
Sorry I'm going to stop ranting now - I'm just fed up with local government workers being the butt of everything,as if we're to blame for the economic mess.
itsme
Grafter

Think @hulls ought to think before posting. If the ONS average pay figures are based on public workers working significantly less than 37 hours and they still earn more than private sector workers than their hourly rate will be even higher.
Community Veteran

I'd still like to see how they work it out.  I suspect the "average annual salary" figure is for a 37 hour week, as that's how posts are set, but those who work fewer hours get a pro-rata salary so someone on 30 hours gets 30/37 of the salary.  The purpose of the exercise is once again to play with the numbers and have a go at people who work for "the council" and thereby give everyone with a genuine grievance a nice target (that isn't the people who they should be aiming at, like bankers and MPs) and at the same time divide the workforce, and because "I pay your wages" it works.
I also pay the wages of the bank bosses and the car bosses and the petrol companies, and don't tell me I've got a choice, because I haven't.  They're all the same and unless you want to live in a forest somewhere and live off the land, you've got to pay them.  While the real high flyers are keeping attention on local government, they can get on with what they've always done, which is line their own pockets.  And don't get me started on people who get paid millions of pounds a year for playing games!
See you've started me off again  Undecided You've even got me sounding like a communist, which I'm not.  Crazy
Community Veteran

But part time workers don't affect the argument.  A part time worker in the public sector can still be compared with one in the private sector. 
You must also remember the figures are produced by the ONS which is an independent body. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A similar thing will be happening in Southampton very soon. Striking workers have been told sign the new contracts or consider yourself dismissed.