Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shredder trouble

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Shredder trouble

My Fellowes cross cut shredder is giving me grief. It refuses to shred a full page, so I have to reverse and out comes a half page with  ragged edge. Reverse keeps ruining after the paper is out.

I've tried everything suggested like disconnection for a time or oiling; picked out all shred scraps in the works. No luck!

Any fresh ideas, please guys?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Shredder trouble

What exactly do you mean when you say it refuses? Does it jam or stops rotating? You said reverse keeps "ruining" after the page comes out do you actually mean running? If you do then maybe the rollers aren't as clean as you think they are, so of you're confident with a screwdriver then take it's cover off to give it good clean. Maybe there's a staple in there somewhere.

Also, I use oiled sheets to lube mine, using aA4 sprayed with (shredder) oil works great.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Buy a new shredder? Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro

Mook wrote:

What exactly do you mean when you say it refuses? Does it jam or stops rotating? You said reverse keeps "ruining" after the page comes out do you actually mean running? If you do then maybe the rollers aren't as clean as you think they are, so of you're confident with a screwdriver then take it's cover off to give it good clean. Maybe there's a staple in there somewhere.

Also, I use oiled sheets to lube mine, using aA4 sprayed with (shredder) oil works great.

I've just tried to shred two A4 sheets together, the m/c not seeming to like singles. The shredding began, but stopped part way. About 6.9" was not shred. Ruining: Freud must be running around in his slips! Shocked

I'll seew where the screwa are, and hope I've a drover to fit. Must be messy oiling those sheets!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Buy a new shredder

I use an old bread bin as a mini incinerator.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Sounds like a sensor has either gone inside the unit, or it's plugged up so can't determine where the end of the paper is so stops mid-shred...

Given things these day are built to break, toss it and build a firepit in your garden... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I'd be inclined to take the screws out to see if there's anything obvious, but having said that maybe the heat today hasn't helped. Try it again in the morning when things are cooler. If there's nowt obvious then ship it to the recycling yard.

As regards the sheets nope dead easy, but you can buy them pre-oiled.

Shredder Oil

Community Veteran

These things are so cheap these days I would buy a new one if your initial attempts to get it working don't.

You could give the manufacturer a call to see what they have to say.

Staples had some good prices recently on shredders.

Luzern
Pro

I got this one from Robert Dyas, who were selling them cheap at the time.

As to the screws they're deeply recessed and it's not easy to see what they are, probably cross head of aome sort

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules