Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show me the way to go home ! !

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Show me the way to go home ! !

Whilst waiting for something to come on the telly... I often have a look around the merchant shipping lanes....

This shows the positions of ships at sea ( and in rivers too ).. with their course, speed, and nationality... this one looks like a russian convoy, trying to find it`s way back to Mariupol ! !

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:36.6/centery:45.9/zoom:8

and this one, shows the kind of traffic jam, you would not want to be part of, if the weather got a bit rough

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:29.3/centery:41.1/zoom:9

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Show me the way to go home ! !

Brilliant! The first time I went to Singapore I was amazed to see the congestion of ships waiting to get into the port. That was about 25 years ago. 

It doesn't look as though they've improved it much!

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:103.8/centery:1.2/zoom:9

Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

I found that quite interesting. I know they say the English Channel is one of the busy water ways in the world but I was amazed to see the number ships passing through.

Luzern
All Star

@Mayfly so much so that some seemed to be committing indecent acts in their closeness. @shutterShame I could not see a colour code for the vessels. ATM too busy too look. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern The "vessel type" is the second Icon down on the lft side.... (one below the magnifying glass)... pop out menu appears.

basically.... green = cargo vessels  

red = tankers  chemical and oil 

dark blue = ferry or cruise ship 

light blue = service vessels, like tugs and survey and warships.

browny = fishing and pinkypurple = yachts and pleasure craft.

Hover mouse cursor over ship... get the details... click and you can get a pic, and some more details... even the course can be plotted on screen.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 67

Thanks @shutter something to relieve the bordom! Have you seen the flight equivalent? https://www.flightradar24.com/46.68,-31.47/5

Community Veteran

@Baldrick1  Yes, thanks.... been using it for a few years now... got a nice  "skyscanner" aerial on my chimney, and listen to the Air Traffic Control whilst watching the planes come and go into and out of the UK across the channel... scanner aerial.JPG

Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

@Baldrick1  Yes, thanks.... been using it for a few years now... got a nice  "skyscanner" aerial on my chimney, and listen to the Air Traffic Control whilst watching the planes come and go into and out of the UK across the channel... scanner aerial.JPG

@shutter . You could do with one of those on your car attached to a magic satnav to get you out of Portsmouth sometimes! And back in again! Cheesy

Community Veteran

@nozzer Nah... there`s only three roads in/out ... so not easy to get lost !.

Community Veteran

@shutter

I was thinking more about dodging the traffic, especially on a Saturday (when we go to visit our daughter) when the footy traffic is in-transit as well!

Community Veteran

Ha Ha !... yeah footy traffic is a nightmare...  actually, don`t go into Pompey, that much... maybe twice a month, but always on a Monday Morning  after 1030am  so no problems.