cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shouting, screaming booing

Fixes: 125

Shouting, screaming booing

Anyone fed up with all the noise from the audience during Strictly Come Dancing?
I'm sure it never used to be this bad and it's spoiling my enjoyment of the only reality TV progam I actually like.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Shouting, screaming booing

Absolutely, I've been wittering on about OTT audience participation in this forum from time to time. Most of the shows suffer with it, probably the worst is Dancing on Ice. Thing is it always sounds pre-recorded (the same voices ((screeching)) always sound the same) or at the very least managed by some over-zealous production staff with rent-a-screech on cue.
Have you ever noticed that the "audience" in the set pieces (recorded earlier) is usually blacked out, I guess because there's nobody actually there with the responses dubbed on afterwards.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And here`s me thinking you were talking about the performers on X factor.  Cheesy

I wouldn't know, don't think my TV works on ITV when it's on Wink
I seem to remember it started some years ago (but not so bad) with the introduction of Stars In Their Eyes.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 105

None of it bothers me, Saturday evening viewing is catching up on stuff we missed during the week..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Prior to the shows being broadcast the audiences are warmed up and encouraged to participate.  Also a large part of the audience are friends or relations of the participants who obviously cheer on their friends at every opportunity. Production staff also use cue cards on some shows telling the audience to cheer/clap/laugh etc at appropriate times.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We were at a recording of a Dave Allen show where "idiot boards" were used. Seem to recall that DA did his own warm up for about 10 minutes, which was much funnier that the show, the set pieces were pre-recorded and shown to us, Since we, and quite a few of the audiences didn't much like these rather amateurish productions the boards were very necessary.
The aired shows audience sounded quite different, with uproarious laughter rather than the restrained chuckles we were giving it.
We were all there to see (and enjoyed) his sit-up one-man comedy, not the rubbish that often went with it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Same with 'live' concerts, audience participation seems to be the norm. I remember the first 'stones' gig I went to, they played to a stunned silence with mild applause after. Where did it go wrong?

I took my step-daughters to a Take That concert back in 96 I think - their last tour. Couldn't hear any music/singing due to all the screaming going on. Was so glad to get out of their afterwards.
So different from the Barry Manilow and Cliff Richard concerts I've been to.
I've been to many concerts ranging from Diana Ross, Madonna, David Bowie, Genesis, Status Quo and more and none of them had been spoilt by this screaming and such. Then again, it did happen with the Beatles back in the 60's!