cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we stay or show we go?

Fixes: 125

Should we stay or show we go?

Both Portugal and Poland have pulled out of 2013 Eurovision stating the economic crisis as reason:
Portugal quits Euro(vision) blaming economic crisis, just a week after Poland decided not to compete...
Both countries said the financial situation meant they could not afford to join in next year’s event in Malmo, Sweden.

UK have participated in all but two (the 1st and 3rd) Eurovision contests. Although we have won in only 5 times we have hosted it 8 times; more than any other country. Apart from hosting the years after each win UK also hosted in 1960 (Netherlands didn't want to host a second time), 1963 (France didn't want to host for a third time) and 1972 after Monaco couldn't find a suitable venue.
UK, Spain, France, Germany and Italy (the big five) put up most of the funding which mean all five countries automatically qualify for the finals.
With supposed block voting, the feeling that most of Europe doesn't like the UK and the economic situation is it time for us to withdraw from the competition? Or does Eurovision offer a brief respite from all our problems while we indulge ourselves in song and reminisce the days of Puppet On A String & Making Your Mind Up? Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Should we stay or show we go?

It's well past its sell-by!  Huh
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

I only watched it for Terry Wogan's commentary.  Certainly nothing to do with the music Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

No, whilst we habitually watch it, I think its time we pulled out as it stands.
Maybe there should be semi-finals of eastern and western Europe followed by a two song final. Then we could have the usual spectacle of all the countries voting for one or the other without having to endure the rubbish music in between.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 105

Don't watch it, have no interest in it and given that everyone complains how much money it costs they it should definitely be binned.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Can't think of anybody (apart from ABBA perhaps) who have gone from nothing to international stardom by route of Eurovision.
Does it add to 'cultural development'? I think not, perhaps it is time to 'let Eurovision go'.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: journeys
Can't think of anybody (apart from ABBA perhaps) who have gone from nothing to international stardom by route of Eurovision.

Celine Dion, perhaps.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: journeys

Bucks Fizz.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Mav
With supposed block voting, the feeling that most of Europe doesn't like the UK and the economic situation

Thats exactly why we should pull out. They don't like us but they like our money that they continue to raid via euro MPs. Pull out and stuff em is what I say.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
Pull out and stuff em is what I say.

Absolutely, let it rot.
It's no longer even fun to watch so what's the point of it.
If they're that desperate to always get their own way then let the usual guilty block voters fund the show themselves. They can also be the only countries to star in it, win it, and most importantly the only countries to watch it.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Mav
Both Portugal and Poland have pulled out of 2013 Eurovision stating the economic crisis as reason:

It's because there's no-one left in Portugal & Poland, they're all over here !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sooner it goes the better.
The votes awarded are a farce.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Neither Poland* nor Portugal made it to the final last year so I suspect lack of success is more important to them than cost. I notice that Greece has not yet announced its withdrawal.
Dana (the non-International version) did OK for herself from Eurovison. According to Wikipedia
"She won the Eurovision Song Contest 1970 with "All Kinds of Everything", a worldwide million-seller. She subsequently released over 30 singles and 30 albums as a songwriter and performer of Christian music.["
In recently years I have recorded the contest and skipped through to see if I there has been anything worth listening to or watching with little success.
* I have just discovered that the reason Poland did not reach the final in 2012 was that it did not compete. It did however come last in its semi-final in 2011.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

It's well past its sell-by date
It should have been pulled years a go!
Razer
Grafter

I've been a life-long 'fan', but not having had a BB connection for the last two years, I missed the last two. Now that I have such a connection once more, I shall be watching the next one online.