cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we give to beggars?

Faizan786
Grafter

I was told by a passer by to not give change to a  beggar because he'll only spend it on alcohol.
What do you guys think?
19 REPLIES
keyholder
Grafter

Re: Should we give to beggars?

Probably.. I always give to homeless folk if i can but instead of the Money ill get them something to eat or a coffee along with a few quid £2 at most.
Ill aways get something for their dog to if they have one.  Smiley dont like to see an animal suffering due to societys greed.
Fixes: 47

I have on a very few occasions and it was very much appreciated.
A while ago my daughter 'took pity' on a guy sitting outside McDonalds.
She had a voucher for a burger and drink so asking the guy to wait there she went inside and got the burger and a coffee.
When she came out the guy had gone.
She found someone else and gave the food to them.
She says she won't give money as they will spend it on drink or drugs.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I generally don't carry cash on me when out and about, so when I say I haven't got any spare change, I mean it...
I can understand that there are people out on the streets who are in desperate need of help, but, there are also people out there who pretend to be homeless, making money off generous people who are suckered in by these cons, and of course there's the people who are just drunk or drugged up begging so they can buy their next intoxication...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Some recent comment finds that the majority of beggars operate in organised gangs (particularly eastern Europeans), earning considerable amounts of money to fund a family lifestyle in their own country most of us can only dream about. And sadly the "givers" are falling for their methods.
There was the well known case of the beggar in central London who by day "fleeced" the public enough to live in a luxury apartment by night.
There are some exceptions of course. But if you really want to give your money away, give it to a properly run charity that you trust.
For many, begging is a form of employment (its not taxed though)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Correct, there was a story a while ago with one London beggar taking hundreds of pounds a day. As above I also never carry loose change.
The pavement beggars are not persistent, it's the charity chuggers that are right in your face that annoy me, some don't understand what no means.
The number of times I have to tell them that I am not telling them my name, my address or my bank details and therefore do they wish to continue. 99% walk away as these days they are after the £3 a month standing orders.
And as reported recently, if you sign up to one, you watch the junk mail start to arrive as you are on a suckers list.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran

I agree with Petlew, many of these beggars work in organised gangs and possibly have more spare cash than we have. I give to a small number of charities that I have supported for many years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In Muslim countries (Nigeria, Saudi Arabia) beggers hang around at traffic lights and mob the cars when they turn red.
One development is the unsolicited window wash, where they slop suds all over your windscreen and then hold their hand out for the donation.
I has moved to Bristol where Eastern Europeans are doing it. But I had an Octavia at the time and I was in the habit of leaving the automatic windscreen wipers on that start when it rains. The woman thought I had done it on purpose. I didn't care.  Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

unfortunately the East Europeans are becoming a blight everywhere  Embarrassed   
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The more money people give the more it will encourage them.
If I thought someone was genuine then I would offer to buy them a sandwich or a drink but never money.
Not sure if it still happens but one scam years ago was a well dressed person asking for money for a train fare to get home urgently as their wife was ill and someone had stolen their wallet.
Offered to give you their name and address so they could send you a cheque when they got home, one person caught doing this had made thousands of pounds and only caught because he was picked up on security cameras so often.
Community Veteran

I don't.
Simply because when I look in the "hat" I usually think well that's more money to spend than I have.
Razorback
Grafter

Quote from: keyholder

Ill aways get something for their dog to if they have one.

On more than one occassion I have walked past somebody sitting in street with a dog, only to walk past again sometime later to find a different person sat there with the same dog!
Fixes: 125

When I was younger and on the way back from a night on the tiles in London I would frequently give my lose change (the occasional pound note) to beggars.
This days I wouldn't as, to me, it seems more like a career move than out of necessity.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I would be happy to give but none of them seem to take master card.
Wink
Fixes: 125

It won't be long... Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still