cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we be worried?

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Should we be worried?

Should we be concerned ? -------  Does it matter ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7494172.stm
Somebody is not too happy.
10 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Should we be worried?

Tbh, you don't learn literacy at university.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Not even when you use abreviations, either!  Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes
James
Grafter

I don't have a degree Smiley
N/A

I'd agree with the lack of general skills.
Trouble is, I don't know for sure if its a case of candidates believing they have 'good standards' or whether its a case that they've been tought that they have good standards.
Who can fix it though?
I speak with experience of wanting more from the education system whilst I had the benefit of it. It failed spectacularly to keep me interested/occupied, so I went out and learnt via other avenues.
Even after taking over 50% of the last two years of my school life off through truancy, I still gained grades comparable to my peers - and I'd had a far better time learning and living than they had. I'd also contend that I learnt about a much broader field of subjects than they did.
Oh yeah, I'm not talking about the dim and distant past either - I'm not even 30yrs old yet. Wink
James
Grafter

Really? Wow, you look so much older!
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Even after taking over 50% of the last two years of my school life off through truancy, I still gained grades comparable to my peers - and I'd had a far better time learning and living than they had. I'd also contend that I learnt about a much broader field of subjects than they did.
I am not saying anything  Shocked Shocked
N/A

Quote from: Jameseh
Smiley
Shush now Gramps - I'm at least... ooh, 3 months younger than you. Wink
Denzil
Grafter

This was all inevitable, really. It used to be that only the most academically able few percent of students went to university. In recent years the number of graduates has increased enormously, yet the number of graduate level jobs has not increased by the same amount. The result - lots of graduates are now taking lower paid jobs, and therefore, reducing average graduate pay.
I don't know the figures but if, say, ten times as many people are graduating now as twenty years ago, it doesn't mean there are ten times as many bright people as there were twenty years ago, it means degrees are being given to people of above average but not top level ability who wouldn't have got in to university before.
I have come across several graduates whose basic English, maths, history etc is terrible, and don't know much about their degree subject either.
geewizz
Grafter

Meh
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Denzil
I have come across several graduates whose basic English, maths, history etc is terrible, and don't know much about their degree subject either.

Join the club.