cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we ban hands-free devices in cars?

shalom2010
Grafter

Should we ban hands-free devices in cars?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/should-we-ban-handsfree-devices-in...
Is this going too far? I don't have a working phone in my car (apart from one in the glove compartment used for emergencies), but banning hands free seems to be going to far, considering that the original law banning phone use whilst driving is not being enforced.
Option 3 is of course tongue in cheek, but anything in the car is a distraction. I use a TomTom, using the voice control 99% of the time rarely looking at the screen, but maybe that should be banned as well, and my mum who whilst in the car chats about everything from tv programmes to putting out the washing (don't we just love 'em!).
31 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Should we ban hands-free devices in cars?

I have a fully integrated blue tooth system and if needs be can control the phone without taking my hands off the wheel.
As you say if they are to remove distractions the radios and other passengers would need to banned!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Too many people still using (hand-held) phones while driving.
And what about all those who have music so loud they'd be totally unaware of an ambulance or fire engine with sirens on if it were right behind them?
Hands-free is not perfect but it's a 'safer option' for any driver who 'must' take a phone call.  Shouldn't be banned until hand-held use is properly policed - even worse texting or using facebook/twitter while driving.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Yes.
nadger
Rising Star

Always used hands free device when mobile was essential part of working life.
Haven't bothered for about 8 years as always have SWMBO in car with me  Wink
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

its all a crock of ~***
they even had some poor kid on the telly yesterday lunchtime who was clearly supposed to be there version of Malala, a disgusting perversion and clearly stupid to anyone with half a brain to use a brain damaged youngster in such a way!
that said the whole premise is to ban people from having a mobile phone turned on within a motor vehicle, and if it is switched on then it has to be in the boot (the proposed legislation), because just like when they banned smoking in cars everyone is ignoring the law, mobile phones should actually come with a driving mode that disables text messaging for drivers....  but they don't despite more than 10 years of using the things in cars being illegal.
changing gear in a vehicle is dangerous (far to many people look at the gear stick to change gear) what they should be campaigning for is better driving standards, if lorry drivers and police can be taught to use radios whilst driving why cant every motorist be taught to use a hands free kit.
never mind that the data they used for the report represented only 1/3rd of the subjects tested during the process of gathering the data, hooking people up and monitoring brain activity to see if they get distracted by various things, I never suffered from the supposed problems of forgetting to use mirrors or signalling nor did I loose the ability to predict what other road users were going to do based on the attitude of there vehicle in relation to others, I used a hands free kit for years, never once sent or read a text message whilst driving though.
if the current pressure group wanted to be taken seriously they should have taken a larger test group demographic and used all the results to demonstrate there point, selecting the results that best highlight your cause and then publishing them as if they were the only results only serves to denigrate your cause, something else that using that poor kid did, she clearly had nothing but anger for anyone who has a mobile phone turned on inside a vehicle and believes that anyone who does is somehow guilty of causing her injuries (she was hit by a driver typing a text message 9 years ago during the school run) no doubt largely due to her brain damage and inability to think properly as a result, hell she couldn't even remember her lines.
but regardless this cause will either fizzle out in the next week or two or be picked up by some major party diluted a bit and then made into a law, I cant see them banning hands free kits though, those things are worth to much to the economy, and if they do ban them they would also have to ban cb radios
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

No. if it's fully hands free , its just the same as talking to a passenger in the car.  nanotm, most smart phones do having a driving mode pre installed (my S3 does) , or one's that do not you can download a free app Smiley
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

I use a bluetooth headset and have no problems.  If you're looking for distractions what about a screaming child in the back of the car?
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: I
No. if it's fully hands free , its just the same as talking to a passenger in the car. 

I don't think it is. I saw an article on the Beeb where they tested the reporter using a simulator and proved that she made 'mistakes' ie didn't fully recognise dangerous situations etc whilst talking on a hands free.
The ‘expert’ pointed out, correctly in my mind, that a passenger is aware (assuming he/she is sighted) of road conditions and will often wait whilst the driver makes particularly difficult manoeuvres. Whereas, of course, someone on the other end of a hands free will ve unaware of road conditions and will just keep talking regardless of any manoeuvres the driver must make and sill take a fair degree of the drivers concentration accordingly
Community Veteran

Ban smoking in cars. That is worse in my opinion.
Fixes: 105

Quote from: randpwar

The ‘expert’ pointed out, correctly in my mind, that a passenger is aware (assuming he/she is sighted) of road conditions and will often wait whilst the driver makes particularly difficult manoeuvres.

The expert hasn't met my better half...
Will Moderate For Thanks
randpwar
Grafter

Grin
Fixes: 47

a passenger is aware (assuming he/she is sighted) of road conditions and will often wait whilst the driver makes particularly difficult manoeuvres

Except when you are attempting to turn right from a junction on to a main road and that passenger is in the front and decides to lean forward to look in her bag thereby blocking your view of traffic from your left Angry
And woe betide you if you exhibit any sign of impatience.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: AndyH
Ban smoking in cars. That is worse in my opinion.

+1
The loose ash floating about the car, the struggle to light the ciggy while driving, RARELY watching the road etc.
Community Veteran

The ‘expert’ pointed out, correctly in my mind, that a passenger is aware (assuming he/she is sighted) of road conditions and will often wait whilst the driver makes particularly difficult manoeuvres.

I think that's a very important point and a chatting passenger in a car will generally not be having such an intense conversation as someone on the other end of a phone. I've seen (even worse been a passenger with) people talking on a mobile phone and they get totally absorbed in the conversation (hands-free or not) and become really dangerous.
I've had to intervene on several occasions.  Cry