cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should violence be tolerated or encouraged?

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Should violence be tolerated or encouraged?

Have a look at this article, what are your views.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7233408.stm
39 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Should violence be tolerated or encouraged?

I've been following the case of Manhunt 2 with some interest.
I don't think it's any worse than a large number of films that have been released with an 18 certificate and if it is only sold to those over that age range then I don't think it should be a problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

if it is only sold to those over that age range then I don't think it should be a problem.
(age 1Cool
So what you are saying then is, If you Sell this (or any other similar item) to an over 18  then there is no problem....
Does that mean that if you are over 18 you are not influenced by the violence you have seen?

Does that also mean that so long as it SOLD to someone OVER 18 Years, that the copy (or copies)
that action alone, will ensure that it WILL NOT BE SEEN by anyone UNDER the age of 18?
From under which mushroom did you come?
James
Grafter

Not at all.  If it's only played & watched by over 18's then I don't see a problem.
Obviously that won't actually happen, but you can argue that would be exactly the same with films that are bought for home use.
Community Veteran

So,
If it's only played & watched by over 18's then I don't see a problem.
Obviously that won't actually happen,
unquote
The first statement is cancelled out by the second statement...
In other words..... there is still a problem with the content of violence and how it will affect the viewer(s) no matter what their ages.... 
at the same time, is the psychological effect on the viewer, who sees his/her part in that violence, as "at a distance" but at the same time being "involved", which counteracts the basic principles of right and wrong behaviour to another human being.
James
Grafter

Yep, absolutely my point!  Which I clearly haven't made well Smiley
I don't see it going out for sale over here, but I don't think it's any worse than a number of 18 rated films.
Community Veteran

Therefore the answer to the original posted question is  NO  and  NO Smiley
James
Grafter

Yes Cheesy
clockley
Grafter

As a gamer that has been watching this story for a year, I'm disappointed that this game is effectively "banned" in Britain.  As an adult, I would like to make my own mind up.  Its simple enough, if I play the game and I don't like it or it makes me uncomfortable, then I will turn it off.  The problem IMO is keeping it out of the hands of people under 18.  Shops are (generally) very good at not selling 18 rated games to children.  The issue comes with parents who do not consider the ratings and just let their kids play anything.  Don't get me wrong, as a child I watched some stuff that shouldn't have been allowed, but my parents certainly knew to keep me away from the more disturbing and frightening things. 
The point I'm trying to make, is that I am over 18, and the BBFC is making decisions for me as to what is acceptable or not, and that is over-zealous censorship, and possibly a little dig at Rockstar after they "got away" with the GTA series.  Once again, all in my opinion.

**editted for grammar**
Community Veteran

As a gamer...    I`m disappointed...    As an adult... I would like to make my own mind up.  Two very good statements ... and I agree to some extent with the general gist of your post regarding censorship.  If I were a food censor, I would ban curry, however there would be an outcry that I was being racist. In fact when I applied to Leicester city housing for some (single) accomodation a few years ago, I happened to mention to the young lady interviewer, that I could not stand the smell of curry.  At which point she (above 25yrs, fair hair, and white) quite curtly told me that I had better not repeat that anywhere within council office properties as I could be arrested for racist remarks.
I digress..
as a gamer, when you don`t like the violence you are "playing" with in your "game" what do you do?  Just switch off..... then what..... ?  Do you take it back to the retailer and complain?  do you use whatever means you have to destroy it so that no "under 18 " can "view/ play " the game?
What responsible action do you take, to prevent anyone under 18 from viewing the games you decide are not for viewing by under 18`s?

Just a small point......

**editted for grammar**  But not for spelling  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Having had a little think about it, I think I might have a suitable solution: make a new rating of '30' or something like that. No, I'm not kidding. You see, the problem with these games isn't their liability to offend - as Carl has said, he can make his own mind up about whether or not the content will be offensive. The problem is the subconscious effect the game might have on people whose minds are susceptible to those effects - for example, after playing a game, some yob from inner city London will then think it'd be cool to go and chop someone's head off with an axe in real life. Well, maybe not quite, but you get the idea. I therefore think that a comparatively very old age restriction on the game might be a workable compromise, because much of yob/gang culture appears to be amongst younger people - often older than 18 (which is why the 18 restriction is no good) but still not that old.
Community Veteran

The problem is the subconscious effect the game might have on people whose minds are susceptible to those effects - for example, after playing a game, some yob from inner city London will then think it'd be cool to go and chop someone's head off with an axe in real life. Well, maybe not quite, but you get the idea.
Exactly right......  and not so far off the mark either..... How many, so called, adults (over 18`s) have played car chase games, then gone out in their (mind) vauxhall corsa 1.1  or puegot 205 believing they can drive faster and safer because they have just finished the "high speed driving course" and caused serious damage to other "innocent" road users, including pedestrians, and buildings....(NO buildings are not road users.... but they get damaged just the same when a car hits it at over 70 mph !)
clockley
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
Having had a little think about it, I think I might have a suitable solution: make a new rating of '30' or something like that. No, I'm not kidding. You see, the problem with these games isn't their liability to offend - as Carl has said, he can make his own mind up about whether or not the content will be offensive.

I'm sorry, but I disagree.  I believe that if someone is going to have mental issues, then they can watch cartoons all day or "Driller Killer" on loop, the issue is still there.  As I said, I watched some scary and violent stuff growing up, and I seem to be fine (however my therapist may disagree lol).  I feel let down that as an adult, and with a ratings system already in place, I am told that as someone that is over 18 I cannot make my mind up whether this is suitable **for me** or not.  In response to an earlier question, mine is not the place to enforce censorship elsewhere, so if I don't like it (for whatever reason) I will trade it in, let other like minded consenting adults make their own mind up.
That is the main crux of the matter, the BBFC are saying that this game is not suitable for anyone.
Fixes: 47

Just a few thoughts on this one.
A few years ago I played Quake and Doom and I don't think they turned me violent because I can tell the difference between fantasy and reality.
I have watched violent films and I don't think they turned me violent because I can tell the difference between fantasy and reality.
Can all teenagers claim to possess such a quality.
Each generation creates more problems for the next by allowing greater freedom of choice.
Very young children want to do exactly as they please and good parents provide a degree of control and guidance in order that they grow up safely.
I see the kind of society I am living in but I won't be here to suffer the consequences of my generation's contribution to it's decline.
My children and grand-children will be but it's too late to reverse the damage.
The creation of the type of video games referred to in the opening post are one of those contributions and it's a shame the creators won't be around to suffer those consequences.
Edit: Without wishing to be condescending it's very understandable that Carl feels the way he does, I did at his age.
Around the age of 12 I remember telling my Mum and Dad that that they hated me because I was being grounded for two days. Now I see it as laughable.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: clockley
As I said, I watched some scary and violent stuff growing up, and I seem to be fine (however my therapist may disagree lol).

Ah, but you're not picking up on something I said in my post: 'The problem is the subconscious effect the game might have on people whose minds are susceptible to those effects' (although I acknowledge there was a grammatical error there which may have caused the misunderstanding). Of course, a lot of people can play games without having their mind altered as a result. You, I, and probably everyone else who posts on this forum are probably like that. But I don't think it's true for everyone though. We're not the sort of people to wield guns - but other, less desirable people, are. And for those sorts of people, these video games probably do just act as encouragement to continue their antisocial and dangerous interaction with society.
No need to apologise for disagreeing by the way. There wouldn't be much point in having a debate if everyone was going to agree, would there? Wink