cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should've gone to specsavers..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Should've gone to specsavers..

Not the pilots.. the guys watching the radar screen!
A Boeing 747 jumbo jet that mistakenly landed at a tiny Kansas airport last night has finally taken off and landed at its intended destination after hours grounded while officials figured out how to manoeuvre in on the small runway.
The 235ft Dreamlifter jet landed at Jabara Airport in Wichita - which is considered far too small for the large craft - at 10.20pm instead of McConnell Air Force Base, which is about eight miles away.
Although differing in size the two airports have a similar runway configuration and it is believed the pilot landed there by mistake.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511166/Boeing-747-Dreamlifter-plane-stuck-tiny-Kansas-airpo...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Should've gone to specsavers..

Think I should too, keep reading Dreamliner not Dreamlifter Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Me too - I thought they had made a typo  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Dreamlifter is right actually. Dreamliner is a different Boeing aircraft.
But this sort of thing has happened here as well. There was an incident when an Air India Boeing 707 landed at RAF Northolt instead of Heathrow some years ago. The runways are in the same direction. To this day the two gasometers at nearby Harrow which are on the flight-path for both airports have painted on them LHR (Heathrow)  and NHT (Northolt) in very large letters with arrows pointing in the right direction to remind pilots where they should be headed.
The runway at Northolt was considered too short for a Boeing 707 to take off from with its rather old lifting technology (requires more runway than a 747) but it was managed (just) by stripping all non-essential weight, minimum fuel and full power from the extreme end of the runway when the wind direction was right.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Fit some Nitrous Oxide tanks for tank off, but turn it off before reaching the moon.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nadger
Rising Star

@Petlew - really showing my age when I remember Northolt as a wartime base and subsequently a busy international airport handling most of London's European traffic.
Going back to those days there was an incident when a passenger airliner mistook RAF Hendon for Northolt and just managed to stop before hitting hangers. It was a Greek ( Olympus Airways) Liberator ( converted bomber) and they had to strip the entire interior so it was light enough to take off.
Community Veteran

@nadger, Not so much nowadays with modern navigation equipment, but I think attempting to land at the wrong airfield used to be more common than is generally thought. Apart from the one I cited, prior to the gas holders at Harrow being painted there were quite a few heavy jet landing attempts at Northolt, and a few military types have gone to Heathrow by mistake. By all accounts they look alarmingly similar from the air. I often used to take a lunch break from a parking area on the top of Harrow on the Hill where there was a very good view of the gas holders and landing aircraft, and I'm pretty sure I've seen more than one aircraft "swerve" off to the left for Heathrow.
But from the topic incident, even with modern technology it can still happen it seems. 

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

We moved to Greenford just as WW2 started so Northolt was very local and I seem to recall that the gas holders were in South Harrow.
Edit - just found this
The gas-works were opened there in 1859, supplying Harrow through a private contractor named John Chapman - whose business was called Stanmore Gas Company. In 1894, it was joined with Harrow District Gas Company – the two becoming Harrow and Stanmore Gas Company, the gas holders were sited at South Harrow. This company was later taken over by Brentford Gas Company in 1924 - formed part of the Gas Light and Coke Company - two years later.
Community Veteran

That's right. Horsenden Hill Greenford was another good place for aircraft spotting for Northolf.

nadger
Rising Star

We lived on top of a hill overlooking Western Avenue ( looked down on Aladdin factory) so know Horsenden Hill well  Smiley
Fixes: 47

I read in the Daily mail about a Space Shuttle that landed in a Los Angeles storm drain.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

I read somewhere there's a london bus on the moon..
Will Moderate For Thanks