cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should they stay... or should they go.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Re: Should they stay... or should they go.

Our system is not fit for modern purpose, for though I oppose views of such as @wotsup's, I think the loss of constituency representation for national proportionality would make for more disconnectedness.

IMO one of the best systems for recognizance of both  elements is the German, built after the terrible period of Nazism.

From article

Germans elect their members of parliament with two votes. One vote is for a direct candidate, who ought to receive a plurality vote in their electoral district. The second vote is used to elect a party list in each state as established by its respective party caucus. The Bundestag comprises seats representing each electoral district, with the remainder of seats being allocated to maintain proportionality based on the second vote. Common practice is that direct candidates are also placed on the electoral lists at higher rankings as a fall-back if they do not win their districts.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

It's certainly time for a shake up and if not fit for purpose then we should indeed change it, and whatever side of the fence you sit, at least the recent kerfuffle has shaken the dominant two party system to it's roots I'm sure we can all agree on that.

What gets right up my nose is these so called 'safe seats' where a candidate from outside of the area (and in my old constituency, outside of the country) gets parachuted in election success assured. Shorts lists are another bone of centention with me as well where in the constituency next door to ours a seat had been reserved for a female only candidate with the one chosen not even living in the same County and yes, she got elected... and don't even get me started on those ex-pats that were allowed to vote for Brexit.

Damn it, I've mentioned the B word! Ticked_off    

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

I Vote that @Minivanman be banned for at least 30 minutes, due to his bad language, and use of the B word in his own post ! Shocked

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Noooo! Cheesy

Just reading that yet another MP has jumped ship, this time Labour but not to go on board with that Independent Group. Cannot say I am surprised given that he is of the Jewish faith - how on earth can anybody least of all this chap be in any political party whose leader is a friend of Hamas... along with a few others that have question marks over their heads.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

It is totally wrong for an MP to be affiliated with a party and its manifesto when they are standing for election and then leave that party and go in a different direction, this shows no respect for the electorate - the thing is that the present bunch are oh so keen to have a peoples vote on something that was decided in 2016 and again in 2017 but will not allow their constituents to have another vote on their completely changed circumstances,  they are devoid of integrity..

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I agree entirely @wotsup

If they want to wear that party hat then they can stand as either and 'Independent Labour' or and 'Independent Conservative' or whatever. After all and as far as I know there is no copyright on those names.

Maybe they are afraid of losing that £500 deposit needed if they got less than 5% of the vote. 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:... and finished us as Mayor!

Freudian slip?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe

Oops, maybe. Also spelt contentious wrong. Crazy2

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

It will be interesting to see what happens at the next general election in terms of turnout.

Will the current problems make enough people angry and result in a larger turnout or will the opposite apply, with some having seen or confirmed that irrespective of whom they vote for a individual MP will either do as they please or support the party irrespective of the wishes of those who voted for them.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well if there is not a bigger turnout and an even bigger turnover of MP's, I for one will be very surprised not to say dissapointed and left wondering what the heck does it take for folks to get off their derrières. Sadly (and we have all seen it) there are those areas that even when they do, they will vote for the same political party time after time ad nauseum even if they put up a garden gnome as a candidate. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least you know what you're getting when you vote for a Gnome!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Just so long as it does not look like this one. Wink

Capture.PNG