cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should they bring back the car tax disc?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Should they bring back the car tax disc?

There's been an 80% surge in car clamping due to unpaid Vehicle Excise Duty. A BBC report is here.  I reckon many people get caught out because their car no longer carries the tax disc to remind them to renew. I was almost caught out by this earlier in the year when I went 5 days overdue without realising.  I'd received a reminder letter from the DVLA about 5 weeks prior but had put it to one side and forgotten it.

The DVLA abolished the tax disc to reduce their operating costs, saving about £16 Million. However since then there has been a £80 Million decrease in VED revenue and an increase in enforcement against motorists. The law of unintended consequences has paid a visit.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
67 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Should they bring back the car tax disc?

as you get a letter there really is no excuse for forgetting to renew.
if you can easily forget about the letter then you can just as easily forget to look at an expired tax disc.

so, no, they shouldn't and don't need to bring it back.

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

I would prefer to have a tax disc, simply for the reason mentioned above. My memory is not what it was. Alternatively I would also like to be able to renew immediately the reminder arrives so that does not happen and not have to wait for a few days.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Can't think why they should,. A very prominent reminder is issued by post for road fund. It is up to the vehicle owner (keeper in DVLA parlance) to deal with it promptly.

I have very little time or sympathy for those who use the roads without road tax - and that includes cyclists, but that's another story -.

My opinion for what its worth, is that it is one of the more useful side-effects of Police ANPR equipment (and no licence, insurance or MoT)

If you move home the DVLA should be very high on your list of people and organisations to advise. Sorry, no sympathy for that either.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@Mayfly, you can renew immediately. Online, its very easy and quick, the reminder has the details.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Odd that this subject should come up as I got a reminder a week, maybe 10 days ago for this as soon so as soon as the letter was opened I went online and renewed it, because I knew if I didn’t there and then I’d forget and end up suffering the consequences.

Also, can you really justify the 'I forgot' as an excuse, I think not. As it only takes a note pinned to the fridge or office wall or even a reminder set in your mobile phone. So like @petlew I too have no sympathy, well while I remember to renew it at least. Wink

Community Veteran

Thank you Mook for your back-up, I thought I might be on my own there!!

I have two cars to tax, one is disabled (free) but it still needs to be done annually.

Community Veteran

petlew wrote:

I have very little time or sympathy for those who use the roads without road tax - and that includes cyclists, but that's another story -.

as the "road tax" is based on emissions, what tax do you think cyclists would be paying?Huh

Community Veteran

The tax "rate" is based on emissions, not whether you run a vehicle on the roads.

Even hybrid and electric vehicles pay a tax even if it is nominal.

Community Veteran

petlew wrote:

The tax "rate" is based on emissions, not whether you run a vehicle on the roads.

Even hybrid and electric vehicles pay a tax even if it is nominal.

yes, so there are cars that pay zero "road tax".
so, again, what amount of tax do you think cyclists should be paying?

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

@petlew

Perhaps I'm mistaken then but I thought when my OH got his reminder for October renewal it arrived more than 30 days prior and we had to wait a few days before it would let us.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Not only should cyclist ‘pay’ road tax even if that fee is nominal or even zero, and it should be compulsory as should insurance for anyone over 16, so they conform to the same regulations as motorists. Why? Just try commuting in to a large town or city that has a lot of cyclists and you’ll soon find out.

Fixes: 102

that'll all be changing for cars registered after April though..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@chenks76 splitting hairs to start a flame war, AGAIN.... "Road Tax" is not an "official term"... it is "generic" ...  the correct term is Vehicle Excise Duty... and as regards your point about  "based on emissions".. that was a change from the original concept of the "road tax"... .....which was implemented originally, to maintain the roads in reasonable condition, when there were few vehicles on the road... ( long before your time, I suspect ). therefore, there is no reason why cyclists, and indeed motorised disabled chariots could not be applied to VED.. they too, should be subject to some form of insurance as with other vehicles on the roads. 

The "tax disc" was issued as a two prong item... 1.. to give the "owner" some form of receipt and proof that they had paid the  VED  and 2. so that mr. plod.. could easily identify those who had let it lapse.

As regards renewal... I have always renewed it on the day that the letter came through, since the disposal of the paper disc... and as others have said... " I forgot".. is not an excuse.

for those short on memory... there is no reason why they cannot devise their own version of the "tax disc" and put that in place of the old version, to remind them when it is due... or even a "sticky" on the dash board in front of the driving position ...

Community Veteran

"road tax" hasn't been about roads for decades, it is simply goes into the general taxation pot.
and i know it's not the correct term, which is why i said "road tax" and not road tax.

so with regards to cyclists, as they would be paying zero "tax" just like other zero or low emissions cars, what benefit would there be in in applying such a tax to cyclists? other than adding a layer of paper work with no actual benefit at the end.
you would need to have a system where ALL bicycles are registered. this would cost money with nothing being recouped as the cyclist would be in the zero tax bracket.