cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should the parrot remain demised?

Fixes: 124

Should the parrot remain demised?

Monty Python are due to reunite and David Jason is reprising his role as Granville in a Christmas special entitled Still Open All Hours.
With recent remakes like The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin starring Martin Clunes which, in my opinion was diabolically unfunny, should old favourites have a make-over, relaunch or new series with new stars or should they be left in the vaults as part of our collective memories?
I'm not sure Open All Hours with Ronnie Barker would work but at least they haven't cast someone else in his role. Was the remake of Perrin so unfunny because I was able to compare Clunes with Leonard Rossiter. Did any watch the new version never havinng seen the original and can comment?
What do people think particularly baring in mind the Python and Open All Hours?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

26 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Should the parrot remain demised?

it will be amusing to see if they follow the same material as before, I mean what was funny back then certainly would be breaking all the rules of pc now and I daresay offend a large number of people (although probably on behalf of someone who they believe should be offended)
I don't hold high hopes for them being able to pull off more than a few minutes before the plug gets pulled over such things if they follow there old material direction
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Remakes never seem as funny as the original.  I don't think this will work.  I wonder if it will even get off the ground. They don't get on with each and it could end in disaster.
Community Veteran

I find most of the Python humour falls into the category 'Funny Once', the second time it falls flat.
I'm more amused that a large percentage of men over a certain age can recite verbatim the saga about the "demised parrot".
Voted no 
WTF
Grafter

I'm with Mav: it's past it's sell by date.  I'm sure it has nostalgic appeal for many my age, though.
On my drive home last night the news played bits of the Dead Parrot sketch and I have to say, it was bordering on embarrasing: the silly voice thing has really dated.
Having said that, I was never a huge fan first time around: they had moments of brilliance but I found most of their stuff a bit "meh".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I voted maybe.
i wasn't overly keen on the older shows to be honest but there are some american fiction shows such as the A-Team which could do with a revival.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
beeceegee
Rising Star

Undecided It will be interesting to see if John Cleese can be funny again  Undecided
myredhotcar
Grafter

I voted no.
I am too young to have seen Monty Python when it was originally broadcast. While I find it funny (and certain sketches excellent), I bet most of it was funnier when it was still breaking ground.
There's a lot of great modern comedy about anyway but my worry would be that a great institution would be reduced to a formulaic Little Britain type affair. It would be on constantly repeating loops on endless channels for an inordinate amount of time. And everyone would get sick of it. Then it will be forever tainted like Piers Morgan.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Angry It's.....!

Time for something completely different.
RichAllen
Grafter

John Cleese is God IMO, he hasn't done anything that hasn't been hilarious, including Fawlty Towers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We've just found MASH on True Entertainment. Boy has that stood the test of time, still just as funny and pointed. Absolutely no need to remake that!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Agree about MASH.
Am I the only person in the UK who thought Monty Python was rubbish?
Petlew grabs coat and runs for the door, after voting no...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
Agree about MASH

+1
I was also surprised how well it has stood the test of time
Quote from: Petlew
Am I the only person in the UK who thought Monty Python was rubbish?

Maybe just the only one brave enough to say so  Wink
Quote from: beeceegee
Undecided It will be interesting to see if John Cleese can be funny again  Undecided

Don't know what you mean: it's only 25 years since he last managed (A Fish Called WandaGrin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's not unusual for comedy shows to take a few episodes to get going. Earlier this week True Entertainment broadcast series 1 episodes 1 and 2 of M*A*S*H. They really hit the ground running. The bit with Henry's desk disappearing was as funny as anything in the whole 11 years it ran.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
The bit with Henry's desk disappearing was as funny as anything in the whole 11 years it ran

That was the second episode  Shocked
Wow!
As you say, it was all there.  Amazing.
I guess the movie might have been a bit of a springboard, though the cast was entirely different.