Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Should have gone to Specsavers?

40 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Should have gone to Specsavers?

To err is human but, given the length of time to prepare for the event, I would have thought that checks and double checks would have been in order.  
I am surprised that BBC's spoof documentary Twenty Twelve  didn't predict that one! "Olympic officials in London are to blame for a flag row" "As yet the London games organisers have been unable to clarify who made the video." It's just the sort of thing that Perfect Curve would have done.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18995657
I also heard a report that incorrect National Anthems had been played at some rehearsals. Specsavers also sell hearing aids so there is another potential topic for a TV ad.
In the following article a train company produced a poster for Arabic readers that was unintelligible because no one checked that what was supplied was what was requested.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18911599
I wonder when the first sighting of the Union Jack (Union Flag to pedants - or should that be Flag GB?)  being shown upside down. I am sure that there will be plenty among patriotic supporters but I mean official ones.
With the eyes of the world upon us it is unfortunate that as with the Nationwide direct debiting twice foul up more serious "human errors" seem to be occurring than is good for our reputation.
GrahamC
Grafter

I still don't understand why it's TeamGB and the IOC insists on using GBR to describe the United Kindom  Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

GrahamC
Grafter

I understand the IOC codes, but Great Britain is NOT the United Kingdom, or do the IOC exclude Northern Ireland  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.co.uk/2008/08/team-gb-what-of-northern-ireland.html
According to the International Olympic Committee's existing charter, ‘the Olympic Council of Ireland represents the whole island of Ireland.’ Apparently, it was former Irish IOC member and IOC president Lord Killanin who ensured that the OCI was responsible for all 32 counties on the island of Ireland. The OCI charter giving it full responsibility for all of Ireland ‘was agreed by former IOC president Avery Brundage and then re-enforced by Killanin when he became president’.
Attempts by the BOA to change their charter with the IOC to include the words Northern Ireland have not succeeded. So the OCI sends a team representing Ireland and the BOA sends one representing GB.
Doubtless to the delight of Sinn Féin, Olympic sports are organised on an all Ireland basis. While Northern Ireland athletes can compete for either team, they generally go with the Irish teams as inclusion is less competitive. Thus there are distinct and separate Ireland and GB teams: Ireland uses the tricolour and national anthem of the Republic, and GB flies the Union flag and sings the national anthem of the UK.
Community Veteran

Maybe the Olympic committee should try the same thing with North and South Korea.
Or did they already with the flag.
Community Veteran

oh dear!  The pedants are marching Wink
GrahamC
Grafter

Ha, another fudge ...
like the Specsaver advert though, I'm sure there will be more to come, Jeremy Hunt looks a prime candidate  Roll eyes
alanf
Aspiring Pro

RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Jeremy C does it again.  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
Hunt had dropped his first clanger

Reminds me of a works family party (remember them) in my youth. Man up on the stage ringing the brass bell, a big old school one, and the handle came off. Seemed very funny at the time watching that bell bounce off the man at the fronts head. But it must have hurt like hell as he staggered off helped by two others.
Community Veteran

Hunt had dropped his first clanger before you posted!

Not an appealing moment for him Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Brings a whole new meaning to camp-anologist!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I wonder when the first sighting of the Union Jack (Union Flag to pedants - or should that be Flag GB?)  being shown upside down. I am sure that there will be plenty among patriotic supporters but I mean official ones.

I have just made my first sighting. Lizzie Armitstead, Team GB's recent silver medallist,  has just set off on the time trial with the flag on the sleeve of her costume upside down.  Her team mate Emma Pooley's was correct.