cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should drivers who opt out of the Black Box be penalised

Fixes: 125

Should drivers who opt out of the Black Box be penalised

AA to launch sat-nav tech tracked insurance policy
"All the anecdotal evidence suggests that people who have installed the system have about a 30% better claims experience - in other words, less crashes - than those who don't," he added.

But Keith Peat, a spokesman for the Association for British Drivers, told the BBC he was worried that drivers who did not want to allow telematics in their vehicle would face higher costs.

I for, one, don't like the idea of this 'big brother' type device logging my every move. I envisage the data could be misused.
If it does, in fact, help reduce the number of accidents in young drivers then that is a good thing but as an older, wiser and more considerate driver I'd hate to be coerced into having one fitted with threats of higher premiums if I don't.
jim:green link fixed mod:end

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Should drivers who opt out of the Black Box be penalised

Link broken?
Thanks for fixing.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Now fixed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Mav I wouldn't worry about it. The cost of the box alone is high enough.
I did a quote years ago with boxcover.com. Came out at about £3k and they were advertising that it would save the motorist money. I was paying about £400 at the time. Thats a loss of £2.6k not a saving at all. I asked them why and they said they'd get back to me and never did.
I can see several advantages to it, IE if you break down and have no idea where you are they can determine that (as long as you're not in a tunnel or in the hills) and likewise also help you to work out your fuel costs and mileage etc but there is always the possibility it will be misused for something else too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

others are doing it as well
http://www.fairpayinsurance.co.uk/Car-Insurance/Good-Drivers-Insurance/
it uses a TomTom recorder 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Does your premuim go up if your car is being serviced and an over-enthusiastic mechanic takes it for a 'road test'?
My sat-nav occasionally makes mistakes (particularly where recent road modifications have been made) but also has some incorrect speed limit data (e.g. it thinks there's a 30mph limit on the exit ramp of a local dual carriageway where no such limit exists) - would this example cause a warning/premium increase (for 'speeding')?
[Edit]
I think the idea is not so much to penalise those who opt out, more to reduce potentially extortionate premiums for younger drivers with 'nicer' cars by allowing them a reduction if they agree to using the device. [/Edit]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Some insurance companies have tried these devices and decided against using them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Make it mandatory for anyone 18-25 and they get cheaper insurance as a bonus.  One time big brother would be useful if used correctly, same for repeat speeders give them taco-graphs.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017