cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should dogs be banned

Steve
Pro

Should dogs be banned

From cemeteries or should their owners just stay at home?

Mourners are being left devastated by dogs running amok over graves, soiling headstones and knocking down personal mementos despite a sign telling owners to keep their pets on leads.

Mr Fairweather first raised the issue before May’s local authority elections and has been contacted again by concerned mourners.

He is concerned the situation may get worse and wants the current bylaws to be reviewed.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/498049/cemetery-dog-ban-proposal-to-be-broug...

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Should dogs be banned

Seems like another example of the majority being punished for the actions of the few...

Community Veteran

My local cemetery, which I regularly visit, always has the odd dog walker or two. The people are always polite and either have their dog on a lead or are the sort of dog that just walks a few paces away from their owner.

The only damage done here is usually the flowers being eaten by deer,

Fixes: 47

I was in my local cemetery this morning and no dogs.

I would be annoyed to see dogs off the lead in there but to date I can't recall seeing any on or off the lead.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Pro

According to the article I linked an outright ban has already happened across Perth and Kinross. Can't say I have ever seen a dog on the ( what sounds like rampage according to the article ) loose in a cemetery as I rarely visit them. Shame really.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

I visit a large London cemetery where my family has a grave plot.  Here there are big problems caused by professional dog walkers - some walking six or more dogs at a time. Often dogs are allowed to roam free in the cemetery and frequently owners do not clear up after their dogs despite the provision of waste bins.

A cemetery should be treated with respect - it is not the same as a public park or open space.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I guess it depends on the cemetery and the attitude of those who have friends and relatives buried in the cemetery.

I think people in some countries have a much deeper/religious attitude to cemeteries than we have in this country.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't let people into cemeteries except when we are disposing of the bodies.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I always thought dogs were banned anyway. And I am a dog owner, but no cemeteries near me anyway
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

twocvbloke wrote:

Seems like another example of the majority being punished for the actions of the few...

The trouble is the actions of the few tend to spread and then become infectious spreading across the entire country.

If we were to let everything slide then our standards would fall into the gutter for everything quite quickly - from the slop you get at fast food places to the standard of politicians (mind you the politicians might actually work out better that way lol).

When something like this happens tough action does need to be imposed for a while and then relaxed over time - a strong enough message that says "look you can't do that.. but we'll not punish everyone for an eternity".

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The way I see it is, you punish those who are committing the offence, punishing the innocent is not the way to get things done and just results in people ignoring these idiotic decisions, which as a result ends up with nothing being done to solve the problem that could have been sorted if the guilty were held to account... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah i agree.. but if you can't find the people who did it then you have to do something to deter people

(note i've not read the article to know if they were caught or not - just gone by the quote in the op)

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

I was going to suggest perhaps a Dog Warden presence in the offending areas. But that would involve the council paying someone a wage.