Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should anti-tattoo discrimination be illegal

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Should anti-tattoo discrimination be illegal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28758900
Tattoos are more popular than ever, but workers can be dismissed from or denied jobs because of their body modifications. Some want protection under employment law. Should they get it?
You're perfect for the job. You have all the skills and experience the company is looking for, and you've turned up for the interview in your smartest attire.
But there's a problem.
If you have a tattoo that incurs the displeasure of the boss, you might find any offer of employment is swiftly rescinded.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Should anti-tattoo discrimination be illegal

Legally speaking I'm protected by disability laws. The reality is that I'm not protected at all infact I'm actively discriminated against.
Why should those who choose to do obscure things to themselves then be protected? - I've had my health problems imposed on me forcibly by the NHS yet these people choose to do something they know is controversial and expect to be protected for it?
This is crazy.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If the nature of the tattoo is socially acceptable then it's ok, if it's not (ie racist, discriminatory, etc., same as the usual "social" rules), then it's justified to object to it. If a boss objects for a trivial reason, such as the colour, then the objection ain't valid.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nozzer
If the nature of the tattoo is socially acceptable then it's ok, if it's not (ie racist, discriminatory, etc., same as the usual "social" rules), then it's justified to object to it.

You say that... my brother in law to be has the nazi symbol tatoo'd on his arm and he's a bus driver with stagecoach. When I applied to them for a job they didn't even interview me.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

I find nothing attractive about tattoos but that is just a personal thing.
I don't feel there should be any legislation protecting people in employment (I wonder how many apply for jobs knowing only too well that they would be customer-facing and the tattoo would not fit into the business's image?).
[quote=From OP link]One in five Britons now has a tattoo, according to research cited by the British Association of Dermatologists in 2012.
Really? That seems rather high Undecided
My daughter had small tattoos on her wrists almost as soon as she was 18. This year (19) she added what she tells me is a bird just below her shoulder - looks like a fish to me Cheesy I wish she hadn't done it but it's her body. She wants more and I simply just do not understand the need or want for them.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I find no objection to most of the tattoos in the link. I do, however, object to the full face one. If he applied to me for a job I wouldn't give him one. I also wouldn't want him to serve me in any business.
The circumstances naturally have to be taken into account. Would you want your solicitor or barrister to have an all face tattoo?  I wouldn't.
Most tattoos can be covered with appropriate clothing and this gets over most objections.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
I find nothing attractive about tattoos but that is just a personal thing.
<snip
I simply just do not understand the need or want for them.

Exactly the same here tbh
Many years ago long before I met SWMBO
I went out with a gal that had a tattoo of a butterfly on her gluteus maximus & when I seen it for the first & only time, I called it off with her, more so because for weeks that we had been dating she had never mentioned it at all.
She lives a few streets away & we still bump into each other from time to time & she is now near full bodied tattooed
I still think I made the right decision to call it off Wink
nanotm
Pro

tattoos can be nice when there in areas that are normally covered (by standard work cloths) but I fully agree with businesses that wont hire people with clearly visible tattoos when dressed normally....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 47

Quote from: 7up
my brother in law to be has the nazi symbol tatoo'd on his arm

Just as an aside:
The swastika symbol pre-dates the Nazi movement by a considerable period of time but it's adoption by the Nazi movement has tainted it for many generations to come. Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
valart
Grafter

I wonder what these tattoos look like on ones person after 20 years a friend of mine as got them on his arms and they look faded.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I will declare my feelings on tattoos first, I have never understood why people should want to have any kind of coloured drawing applied permanently to their skin. My father had many of them
However, to the OP.
I think it depends on what the applied for job involves, if it involves coming face to face with the public, then maybe if the tattoo is visible** its a no, no. Many people are simply put-off by other people with tattoos, business opportunities may well be lost because of it. **what's the point of a tattoo that is always covered up?
On the other hand, if a job is entirely back-room out of the public eye, I don't really see that it matters that much, it being far more important to get on with your colleagues who, will probably get used to tattoos.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

I can see in some professions it can be an advantage or even expected.
Take for example our resident rock god Adam Walker or a county court sheriff.
Speaking personally I've never seen the attraction in it but it is entirely a personal choice.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

Having a tattoo is a choice - unlike your gender or race - and surely someone should think through the consequences of having them before going through with it?
Can't see why it would need legal protection?
Will Moderate For Thanks
nanotm
Pro

probably because someone got a tramp stamp in a very difficult to hide place and her daddy is in a place where he can make calls for such legislation as she's now unable to get a job because of her stupidity and is unwilling to get it removed for some perverse liberal reason like making a protest about the inequality of life afforded to someone who has chosen to be so crass......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Razer
Grafter

Prejudice ... Wrote a song about it. Like to hear it? Here it go.