cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Sportsmen at the top of their Game be treated differently?

itsme
Grafter

Should Sportsmen at the top of their Game be treated differently?

With Ronnie O'Sullivan saying that he may leave the game of snooker if he's forced to play more tournaments than he want to. Is he right or Hearn?
Talking about the schedule, Hearn said last week: "It's all part of being a professional and they've got to get used to it. I couldn't have less sympathy."

As spectators we have lost out  watching other sports when the elite have retired early as they were not happy with the demands of the controlling body. Björn Borg to name one. At least the Williams sisters are given the freedom to select the tournaments they want to play and are not force to chase ranking points thanks to wild cards and seedings. Perhaps snooker should look into a similar system.     
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Should Sportsmen at the top of their Game be treated differently?

O'Sullivan always seems to have been a 'toys out of the pram' player when things weren't going his way.
He's good at what he does but deserves no special treatment.
He's in the entertainment business and needs to understand that while he's at or near the top there will be demands on his time.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sportsmen and women, at the top of their game........are in it for the money.... don`t try to tell me any different.....
they are no different from the top people in any other kind of business....
If they want to stay at the top, and they want the money and lifestyle, then they are subject to the same "restrictions" on their lives as those at the top in any other business...
e.g.,.... and area manager is always looking for his next promotion, so he attends meetings out of hours and at weekends, and does exactly what his superiors who pay him, tell him to do... he also initiates other stuff for his staff that will enhance his position, according to the time honoured fashion.... of stepping on those below to gain another step up... Sportsmen and women do just the same thing... so they must also be "told what to do". by the people who pay them...
In each case..... if they don`t like the way their lives are controlled, they have the choice to find other "lucrative" ways to live the lifestyle they have become used to.....
itsme
Grafter

Sportsman at the top do more work. The number of frames that O'Sullivan played compared with others? Carter would have came close but he is another player that has said that he's not prepared to play all off the overseas tournaments because of health issues and family.
Most knockout competition sports the top players will do more work, Nadal and Federer will play more tennis than the majority of players on tour even if they do half the tournaments.
Quote from: shutter
Sportsmen and women, at the top of their game........are in it for the money.... don`t try to tell me any different.....

not always and not the only reason. Unlike promoters that are only in it for the money.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There's an old adage; be careful who you **** on the way up, you might well meet them again on your way down, which Ro'S will almost certainly do one day, then he may well be reminded of his past attitudes to the game.
No, sports people are no different to anybody else, want or keep the top positions? then you have to work for it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I heard O'Sullivan on the radio this morning, saying he'll probably take 6 months off to think things over.  How many people would like to be able to do that.
O'Sullivan is and always has been a moaner. He complains when he wins and complains even more when he loses. Always whinging about the sport that has made him a millionaire. I know he's a great player, when he's on form, but I can't be bothered to watch him anymore, because he's not consitsant and his attitude stinks.
What happened to the good old style of player, who took the game seriously, but was willing have a bit of a laugh as well.
John
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme

Sportsman at the top do more work.
Quote from: shutter

not always and not the only reason. Unlike promoters that are only in it for the money.

Oh spare me the sob stories...... top managers do more work than under managers..... WHY ? because they want more MONEY at the end of the month...
and why do these guys "play" sports ?
.........  because they enjoy it so much that they can live on the admiration and adulation of their fans?
NO.....because they want more MONEY at the end of the month...

They do it to pay the bills ..... just like any other "worker".....
itsme
Grafter

Top overseas tennis players lose money playing at Queens.
I prefer to have quality over quantity so if top sportsmen have to limit the tournaments they want to play at so be it.
And @shutter you overlook one flaw in your argument no sportsmen get paid for sitting at home that's the main reason Hearn introduced more snooker tournaments to increase the number of pay days. 
Community Veteran

No flaw in my argument......  Shocked
So a "top player" (may) lose money to play at Queens.....  Cry
same thing for the area manager (and other senior managers) who has to work over the weekend on business , away from home, and family........ just to keep his boss happy and his (overall) pay packet full of enough of the crinkly stuff....
They are no different from any other mortal, that needs to put food on his table or pay their bills.... they have to accept that what they do is how they achieve this.... and not keep bleating about how they "love" the sport....
to sum up......  these sports people should "get a life...... and then get on with it"..... just as we all have to do to survive........
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Bet some of the top sports men in the 1960 & 1970 can't believe the amount of money top sportsmen get now,not just the money but the behaviour of some.
It's no longer about sport (and being a good looser) as stated earlier it's all about money and with it goes the chance to do whatever you want and in most cases get away with it.