Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I complain to the R.S.P.B.?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Should I complain to the R.S.P.B.?

Just a thought,
We have recently moved into this house, it is in the middle of a suburban area, and we have had our garden "landscaped" to our own design. Roll eyes  ... No we did not want the T.V. company involved... Shocked
However, despite having bought a "de-luxe bird feeding station" where we can hang tasty morsels, like bags of peanuts, fatballs, and lumps of cheese.  plus various other "feeding" stations with bits of bread, and sunflower seeds etc dotted around. There seems to be a shortage of the usual garden birds..... robin, bluetit, bullfinch, sparrow, thrush, to name a few.... We do get a couple of greedy pigeons, and the local squirrel comes for a nibble now and then....  so should I complain to the R.S.P.B asking them to send a few spare birds to hang around until the local population get the message ?  Huh Roll eyes
33 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Should I complain to the R.S.P.B.?

We have a few hundred Starlings going spare.
You're very welcome to those Huh

Let me know and I'll box them up for you Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Grin  Grin
The next door neighbour has the local monopoly on them Grin
Anyway, I only want pretty birds in my garden..... (so long as the missus isn`t around) Roll eyes

nadger
Rising Star

All the RSPB will do is to send you a free Bill Oddie gnome  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Your Lucky arnt you ling in the middle of a new housing estate Grin
when my house was built (45 years ago) it was about 200 yards from fields and hedgerows, lots of birds of all sorts
Then a Developer decided that house were better than birds and applied to remove the hedges, the council objected and it went to high court, on that day the smasher upper drove a bulldozer down the hedge, he lost his appeal and was refused permission to remove said hedge, fat lot of good that  did,
We lost most of our bird population, that was in 1993, the feathered variety are just coming back.
Community Veteran

Sorry to disappoint you, but it is not a new housing estate..... I reckon it must be at least 40 years old..... We had the garden "landscaped" because it was a messy bog of a lawn, and had been neglected.  We just wanted it to be a "low maintainance" type, so  son-in-law gave it a make-over.  It wasn`t his fault all the birds disappeared..! Sad
We seem to have done everything we can according to the R.S.P.B. guidelines, to get birds into our garden, so I thought I might just complain and see if I can get a result (like bubbalicious Wink Grin Wink ) Although I doubt if they will give us a refund ! !  Sad  Sad
Captainkirk
Grafter

Perhaps you could try posting a notice in your bird greedy neighbours garden encouraging the birds to move across the fence for better food Smiley 
We had lots of lovely little birds until a sparrowhawk appeared late last summer - its still about but the birds are making a comeback slowly
Community Veteran

I`m not sure she would appreciate hoardings being planted in her borders  Shocked  And I definitely dont want a big yellow M over my garden..... but there again, that would probably drive the birds away from the area, not just my garden Tongue  This weekend is supposed to be the weekend that the RSPB asks everyone to count the number of birds in their garden, and report the types and numbers.    Roll eyes  I won`t have too much work to do then will I Huh  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The RSPB bird count is OK but is a bit muddled.  they ask you to count for 1 hour, but which hour?,  the greedy starlings come at dawn, then just after lunch and just before sunset.  If I pick another hour i.e 13:00hr - 1400:00 (when I wake up) look no starlings, other time between 20 and 40 in my 10x10 metre garden.
Sparrow Hawks  - I have a video I took in my small patch of a sparrow hawk demolishing a collard dove, and have seen it take smaller birds, but I still get up to 15 collard doves in my garden.
Don't worry about house sparrow, Bill Oddie doesn't get any on Hampstead heath, could be all the gnomes in his garden,
Also our local wildlife trust (Essex) old headquaters at Fingrinhoe, a very good bird watching place has no house sparrows
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

We've got a load of pigeons around that you're welcome to have!
Phil
Community Veteran

Might be interested in the pigeons, the way meat prices are going  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue
Community Veteran

There are a couple of sparrows that hang about (not upside down) in the trees at the bottom of the garden, but they don`t come into the garden to feed. We don`t have any gnomes, and Bill Oddie has not been here Cheesy
We do have a dog, but she goes out, and comes back in straight away. so plenty of time for the birds to settle down and return (if they were to come here in the first place !)  Sad
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter
Might be interested in the pigeons, the way meat prices are going  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue

Very nice spit roasted  Wink
Community Veteran

Grin  Cheesy  Cheesy  Do you use a Rotisserie? or is it best to have a camp fire outside  Huh Roll eyes Grin  What kind of sauce do you use ?  Tomato, brown or mint?  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you want to take part in birdwatch go to http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch