Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Elderly Drivers be Banned ?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Should Elderly Drivers be Banned ?

I take it we've all seen this - not good is it.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 107

I imagine there could be a number of younger drivers with poor eyesight or needing to use of glasses but don't on the roads.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Indeed, but then youngsters who have always had poor eyesight are would I suggest, more likely to wear them all the time.

At 70, my own eyesight had definitely got worse over the past couple of years to the point where I now keep a pair of glasses in the car for when driving - however, my eyes are not so bad that I have to wear them all the time.

Anyway, the fact that this driver did not even stop suggests to me that something else is going on here. A couple of sandwiches short of that picnic maybe? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

There have been lots of experiments done by psychologists on the ability of people in the various age ranges to observe various things and it's quite possible to see something but it does not register in your brain.

More likely if you are distracted, upset, suffering from some degree of dementia, taking certain prescribed drugs and a whole range of other things.

Often these things only come to light after the event, is there anyone on here who can honestly say they have never had a near accident which would have been their fault ?

Community Veteran

I'm no longer surprised when people just step into the road taking little regard of oncoming traffic. When you just miss them you get an earful of the ironic didn't you see me kind.

Maybe I'm alone in when I cross the road I still have a damn good look even if I have the so called right of way. That's one thing that seems to be missing from the telly. Decent hard hitting adverts about road safety.

Fred is dead but he was right. That was a good one.

The number of parents I see pushing their prams out in busy traffic in the hope a car would stop. I have seen this at proper crossings, island crossing and where no crossing exists. Just crazy if you ask me.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

There was a case like that near me. A women pushing her pram across a road was hit. The driver was charged as the baby was killed but was in the end absolutely cleared.

It still had to be spelled out to the young mother who didn't understand the verdict. That she had pushed her child out under the wheels of a car and her alone was responsible for the child's death.

Until my daughter was old enough to fully comprehend the dangers of road crossing I would walk some distance to the nearest zebra or similar crossing rather than risk trying to play dodgems. She is very aware of road safety now but there are still times when I try to wind her up and grab her hand to cross... She's almost 22Cheesy

Community Veteran

A bit like when I got my first motorbike. After riding it a few times my Dad ordered me to in future always wear my crash helmet. Saying what should be obvious, look after yourself don't expect others to.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

I take it we've all seen this - not good is it.

Driving tests, every two years, for everyone, it'd pick up on such degeneration of peoples faculties before such a tragedy occurs...

Community Veteran

It would still miss out that the smartest people often do the stupidest things.

Community Veteran

Yes, but it'd weed out those who are half blind and losing the plot...

Community Veteran

If only that would work on Parliament.

Highlighted
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 8

twocvbloke wrote:

Driving tests, every two years, for everyone, it'd pick up on such degeneration of peoples faculties before such a tragedy occurs...

If I drove like in a driving test, I'd be the cause of multiple accidents.

Community Veteran

Think you missed the point about a re-test every two years as being like an MOT for the driver, not for driving round like it's your first foray out onto the open road...