cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Cameron call an election ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Should Cameron call an election ?

Clearly many of the Libdems are unhappy with Cameron regarding his veto so could this be the time for him to make a second major decision and call an election ?
He seems restricted by the libdems and Clegg seems to swing from supporting a decision to either take the opposite view or have a lukewarm response to it.
As for Vince Cable at one time I thought he might have had something about him but some of his continued utterances following his recorded bragging to 2 female reporters about sorting Maxwell out I have little time for his views.
Anyway to repeat the question should Cameron call an election now and in your opinion what would be the likely outcome. ?
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Should Cameron call an election ?

Not sure he can given the various agreements and commitments in place.
If he decided to ignore those that would be the end of his serious political career in the UK; it's already on life-support in Europe......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't think he should.
If he did, think the LibDems would loose out. The Conservatives would get in with a larger majority. Labour is still in no fit state to 'manage' the economy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

At the moment everything is in turmoil. Not many folks like the Con'em alliance but the thought of going back to Labour isn't a good one tierh. At the moment we all just need some sort of stability and to know where we stand instead of political unrest.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, Cable boasted about Murdoch not Maxwell - both press barons though.
To answer your question I think Cameron should call an election and he would be reelected with an overall majority. The LibDems have proved they are not capable of holding office and Labour has proved they can't be trusted with the economy.
caulbox
Grafter

Plus ça change.
TheIslander
Grafter

I would clear out all the politicians we have and try and replace them. They are all the same whatever the party. They are only worried about feathering their own nests. That is probably why the country and others are in such a mess.  Sad
Only problem this would cause is where we would we find an alternative?
Community Veteran

But we have an opportunity to change our politicians - it's called an election. Despite some people asking for a change it never happens except changing between the 2 major parties. 
Community Veteran

That's the theory but in practice it does not work.
If a single individual wished to stand as an MP he would not only have to find the funding but encourage enough people to vote for him or her.
If it looked like there was any prospect of someone gaining any sort of foothold all the major parties would use their dirty tricks brigade to make irrelevant or untrue allegations and that would be enough to ensure that person remained unelected.
I accept there have been a few instances where individuals have got elected but only a handful of independent MPs are not going to get far.
Personally I would scrap all political parties and every MP would stand on what they believed on and would be expected to carry out what they had promised the electorate.
In my opinion it goes completely against democracy when 3 line whips are used to force elected MPs to vote for what the PM wants rather than what they consider the electorate want.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I’ve stated this before, but I still believe the role of MP should be a voluntary, no pay, no expenses, self funding (they do it for the love of the country and public service) and for a maximum of two terms.
nadger
Rising Star

You'd end up with UK equivalent of Berlusconi  Undecided
Community Veteran

It would also lead to the election of the rich as they would be the only people able to stand.  Can't see the left wing parties going for that.
Community Veteran

There has been some talk of funding of political parties coming out of Income Tax rather than the money coming from trade unions and big business.
This might go some way to decrease the influence of these groups.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
I’ve stated this before, but I still believe the role of MP should be a voluntary, no pay, no expenses, self funding (they do it for the love of the country and public service) and for a maximum of two terms.

But of course that could equally apply to everyone.  You should work for subsistence wages, in order to support the country.  Why should people offer to run the country for nothing, with all of the abuse they get (even accepting that some of them deserve it), There's certainly no other incentive.  You wouldn't offer to work long hours in the public eye 24 hours a day for nothing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
But we have an opportunity to change our politicians - it's called an election. Despite some people asking for a change it never happens except changing between the 2 major parties. 

Just like the referendum on reforming the political voting system.. everyone wanted it changed and when push came to shove.. they all abandoned it.
Weird isn't it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!