cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shot in both feet?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Shot in both feet?

The Government has announced that unless GP's surgeries stay open twelve hours a day, seven days a week, their funding will be withdrawn.

Now, what happens if a surgery for whatever reason decides not to comply? Their funding will be cut. What earthly good will that do apart from further reducing the services they can offer? And in any case, if there is any doubt these days about a patient diagnosis, the first thing a GP will do is refer to a hospital.

Why not just admit that there is an acute funding crisis in hospitals and put more funds directly in that pot?

32 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Shot in both feet?

Government thinking has never been "joined up"... !... however, they may have got this right for once..... if they can close the GP surgeries, they will save on the costing of them...plus, less people will be needing prescriptions, so the cost there will be reduced...

and the money saved can be re-channelled into the A&E departments to take over from the GP surgery loss.... ...

Simples ! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It was something that Labour screwed up in their time in office. Here's an article from 2008 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1577683/Alan-Johnson-and-GPs-clash-over-hours.html

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

Government thinking has never been "joined up"... !... however, they may have got this right for once..... if they can close the GP surgeries, they will save on the costing of them...plus, less people will be needing prescriptions, so the cost there will be reduced..

How could they close GP surgeries when there are so many complaints that it's next to impossible to see your GP when you need to? This move is leaving the decision in the hands of the GPs. They are paid six-figure salaries for a relatively "cozy" existence, at least that's what I have witnessed at my surgery. The money really ought to go into the hospital service.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@nozzer
shutter wrote:

and the money saved can be re-channelled into the A&E departments to take over from the GP surgery loss.... ...

Simples ! 

I rest my case  ! ! !    ( irony is almost as good as humour Smiley )

Anonymous
N/A

nozzer wrote:

They are paid six-figure salaries for a relatively "cozy" existence, at least that's what I have witnessed at my surgery.

Average salary for 7 full-time and 1 part-time GP at my surgery is £58586. Quite a long way off six figures.

Community Veteran

notinmyname wrote:

Average salary for 7 full-time and 1 part-time GP at my surgery is £58586. Quite a long way off six figures.

Average GP salaries were, until recently, over £100,000 pa.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11856441/Average-GP-pay-dips-below-100000-for-first-time-in-a...

My surgery's salaries certainly were over £100k this year.

Community Veteran

How can GP surgery salaries be so different from one surgery to the next? I understood that they are on a fixed pay scale.

Anonymous
N/A

There is no pay scale for salaried GPs. There is a maximum and minimum set out by government circular, currently £55965 to £84453 in England. 

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/pay/general-practitioners-pay

For GPs who are partners in a practice are, in effect, running a business and their pay may be different.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In an instant the idiots have made sure the situation is going to get worse. Given the numbers of doctors, the opening hours the government are demanding cannot be achieved without GPs working excessively long hours.

If you were one of the 30% of GPs who are due to retire in the next few years and have already accumulated a sufficient pension would you carry on or think sod it, I don't need this and retire early?

My next door neighbour was a very highly regarded GP. He was thinking of winding down a bit, including continuing to do minor surgery sessions. The strain the service is under, the difficulty they had in recruiting for their vacancies (in a very pleasant area with relatively cheap housing), the cost of re-registering to be able to continue to practice and many other factors led him to decide to retire in his early 60's.

The only way Hunt could achieve what he wants is to ban doctors retiring until they are at least 70 - he's stupid enough to just do that and go head to head with the medical profession in another highly damaging battle.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

notinmyname wrote:

There is no pay scale for salaried GPs. There is a maximum and minimum set out by government circular, currently £55965 to £84453 in England. 

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/pay/general-practitioners-pay

For GPs who are partners in a practice are, in effect, running a business and their pay may be different.

Ah. Ok. I think all of my GPs are registered as partners except for the locums and trainees (not many of those!)

@jelv  Exactly!

Minivanman
Hero

Well I've been saying it for years, the health service model is broken and no longer fit for purpose no matter how much money you pump into surgeries, hospitals and outpatient care and y'know what, it's beginning to dawn on both provider and recipient. As for those doctors, clever and talented though they are (and that's perhaps why) they've been screwing the system from day one.

"Shot in both feet" you say @nozzer, better this sick parrot of an NHS shot itself in the head and started again. Time to rename it and call it the National Health Support, providing joined up thinking, joined up care and joint responsibility for our health. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Anonymous
N/A

Minivanman wrote:

As for those doctors, clever and talented though as they are ... they've been screwing supporting the system from day one.

Corrected for you. You're welcome.

Community Veteran

notinmyname wrote:

nozzer wrote:

They are paid six-figure salaries for a relatively "cozy" existence, at least that's what I have witnessed at my surgery.

Surgeries are now obliged to publish the average earnings of GPs working at the practice. At my practice the following info is given:

in the last financial year was 44,982 before tax and National Insurance. This is for 2 full time GP(s), 5 part time GP(s) and 3 locum(s) who worked in the practice for more than six months.

The figurers are completely useless as they are worked on averages that distort the figures.

Minivanman
Hero

1946, and Bevan's famous quote that, to broker the deal with doctors, he had "stuffed their mouths with gold"

Corrected your lack of obvious historical 'day one' knowledge @notinmyname  - You're also welcome.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.