cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortage of food

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Shortage of food

Is it likely we will see a shortage of food in this country within the next 10 years ?
If we consider the amount of damage done by the  severe weather in various countries affecting the food supply, the ever increasing cost of food (and other things)
increases in world population and countries like china who are becoming richer and thus having more money for basic needs all add up greater requirements for a limited resource.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Shortage of food

not forgetting using it to fuel cars
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jan/22/quarter-us-grain-biofuels-food
One-quarter of all the maize and other grain crops grown in the US now ends up as biofuel in cars rather than being used to feed people, according to new analysis which suggests that the biofuel revolution launched by former President George Bush in 2007 is impacting on world food supplies.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well lets put it like this. The earth only has so many resources and once they start running out there won't be a magical new supply coming from anywhere.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
tinto
Grafter

OJ and OK have already quoted reasons why we might face food shortages in the future, and here are some more.  As countries such as China and India become wealthier, more and more of their citizens will be able to afford a higher standard of living and will want to buy the same food as we currently enjoy, thus reducing the amount available to the rest of us and probably pushing up prices as well.  This is already happening to some extent, in that in 2010 UK farmers reduced the amount of barley grown, in favour of increasing the wheat harvest.  Less barley crop for brewing helped to push up the price of a pint, but the increase in the wheat crop wasn't enough to prevent an increase in the price of bread.  Add in the crops and livestock lost in Queensland and Victoria due to the floods, and you have Australia also looking to buy a bigger than usual share of the world's food and you can see food will not only be scarcer but dearer.  I believe farmers are still being paid  Lay By  Allowance to leave fields fallow and if so I think that will stop sometime soon and they'll be encouraged to get that land back into production, increasing rural employment as a bonus, but even that won't make us self  sufficient, so yes I think that in future food will not only be scarcer but more expensive as well
For all our sakes I'd like to think the ConDems might succeed and prove me wrong but I can't think of one of them I'd allow to be Milk Monitor (remember them?)  never mind run a government, and had the Chancer at the Exchequer, Dave and Nick not been born into money and privelege I rather suspect they'd have starved long ago