cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortage of Housing

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Shortage of Housing

There are several reasons why there is a shortage of housing in this country but one thing that should be stopped is overseas buyers purchasing property in this country simply as a means of making a profit.
Some firms are even reserving properties for sale to overseas buyers as most will be cash buyers.
If overseas buyers are purchasing property for their personal use or use by family members no problem with that but the current situation only pushes up prices even more.
Whilst this is mainly in the London area there are indications that this is spreading to other locations in the country and as demand for more housing grows more land is being used for building either in the wrong location (ie; Danger of flooding) or against the wishes of local residents in small towns and villages.
If you agree with this please support this government petition,
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/159/614/939/the-sale-of-housing-to-overseas-who-purchase-it-solely-fo...
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Shortage of Housing

Unless I've read it incorrectly the 2 signatures so far on the petition are both from Americans - I don't think they count Undecided
shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Theres a lot of wealthy Chinese & Russians buying up property especially in London, but this shortage in housing has been an issue for a good 20 years plus with little done by the governments now that the councils don't build houses any more, its been said that the root of it started with Thatchers right to buy scheme in the 1980s.
Today its all private developers where landlords are charging social tenants high rents due to a lack of regulation also knowing their tenants will claim housing benefit, so will charge the maximum they can get, its also no coincidence that the large influx of immigrants has increased demand.
Part of the solution would be to fix up the many derelict houses that could be renovated rather than build on more greenbelt land, there are also houses owned by the Ministry of Defence intended for serving personnel but remain unoccupied long term which could be freed up.
Community Veteran

Doesn't look like the petition is being well subscribed.
Community Veteran

That has to be partly to do with the homeless not having a reliable internet connection.
Community Veteran

To me there si 3 core issues.
Lack of councils building enough properties which seems to have originated from thatcher.
Properties that are built not enough are for single people.
Immigration and people buying homes for profit instead of somewhere to live.
Too many people in this country have a vested interest in high house prices so for that reason the problem will never be solved.
Community Veteran

It's a free market, so people should be able to buy what they want without restrictions.
In London, the high end market (£5m+) has been dominated by foreign buyers, particularly from Asia, the Middle East and Russia. These buyers add large amounts to the UK economy. In terms of high end London properties, there would be many vacant or unsold developments without these buyers. I have read that this market has slowed down recently and we are going to see a fall in prices this year.
I know more British expats that own portfolios of properties they let out, than I do foreign people who have done the same. I am confident that statistics will show the same nationwide.
Community Veteran

Quote from: chrcoluk
Properties that are built not enough are for single people.

Surely this would exacerbate the problem?! It would be a waste of land and materials building properties suitable for single people.
Ask any builder at the moment about the shortage of new properties and they will tell you the biggest problem is getting bricks. Some brick manufacturers have 18 month lead times on new bricks. There is one new development a few miles from me and the groundwork started nearly a year ago. Since then, it's been left vacant because they've had no bricks!
Community Veteran

I agree but now the government have added barriers with their bedroom tax meaning single people in 2+ bed properties no longer fits.  But even before the bedroom tax its still been a problem, huge waiting lists for single bed properties.
jim:quote
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Doesn't look like the petition is being well subscribed.
From your comments, which I accept are accurate, you  leave me with the impression  this is not a subject you are all that bothered about, perhaps like me you have a property and will not be affected by the points made in the petition but you may have friends or relatives with children who, unless they have plenty of money are certainly going to be affected.
I cannot see why you appear to be coming across as so negative on this topic.
If my assumptions are wrong then I apologise in advance
Fixes: 125

Just had a look at the petition - isn't it referring to the USA? Both signatures are from USA states - Ohio and New Mexico - and Care2 is based in Redwood City, California.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MightyMouse
Grafter

I seem to recall in a village about 7 miles from me a few years back there was a road of (if I remember correctly)  prefab type houses which were to be knocked down and the area rebuilt with modern houses.
BUT, apparently, they could not knock them down and re-build until everyone was empty . So, after about 3 years about half the houses were empty.What I could not understand is, there was half a road of empty houses which could have been used on a temporary basis for emergency housing  and also have given the concil rent on each one.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Just had a look at the petition - isn't it referring to the USA? Both signatures are from USA states - Ohio and New Mexico - and Care2 is based in Redwood City, California.

I spotted the 2 signatories to the petition were American but you've have looked in more detail and you're right, I don't think this petition is UK based.
@gleneagles, i was simply commenting on the lack of interest in the petition. No opinion should be read into it.
Community Veteran

Ok, fair point, might well be American.
Smiley
Fixes: 125

While the petition appears to be for the USA your points may still be valid for the UK.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still