cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoreham Air Crash

Community Veteran

Shoreham Air Crash

A plane has crashed at the Shoreham Airshow. Police say there are several casualties. They have closed the A27 in both directions to vehicular traffic.
Shoreham Air Crash
No details are yet available of the casualties.
105 REPLIES
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Shoreham Air Crash

Dreadful news and so soon after the Gnat at the beginning of August.
Very sad.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Sky reports several dead and two casualties in hospital
Community Veteran

7 people confirmed dead. So sad.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The Folland Gnat that crashed at the beginning of August was based at North Weald Airfield in Essex, for several weeks an RAF flag has been flying at half-mast. A Hawker Hunter T7 is also based at North Weald. I don't know if this is the same aircraft but it would be tragic if it was.
Awful, tragic news. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

The Vulcan flew over and tipped its wing - very touching.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Yes it was based at North Weald.
Community Veteran

Yes, the control tower at North Weald has confirmed that. Dreadful.
It was also reported that the plane was based in Germany and only came to the UK for servicing. I guess the full story will emerge as time goes by.
I assume both planes would have been maintained by the same company as I don't think there are many companies at NW doing servicing etc.
Community Veteran

If you take the Air Ambulance base at North Weald as a middle point (looking away from the runway Artmo, as I know you know the area); two Folland Gnats that used to fly as a pair (one of which crashed) were based in an area several hundred yards to the left, I saw the Hawker Hunter several times parked to the right of the Air Ambulance base just alongside the Airman cafe'. So I suspect they were not handled by the same company.
I was parked up by the cafe' one weekend afternoon and watched the lengthy preparation for flight of the Hunter and the taxi (right in front of us to take-off. The pre-flight seemed to be being carried out by RAF personnel, but they may just have been dressed in overalls that looked that way.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I have seen the Gnats and Hunter a number of times in flight. Their flight path takes them almost overhead of my bowls club, we seem to lie roughly in the middle of the inbound and outbound routes. Not only those but Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs, Texan Harvards, wing walk biplanes without walkers, even the Lancaster has made an appearance overhead (several thousand feet up by then I might add). The bowls regularly stops when this happens.

Community Veteran

BBC News is reporting that the PA Wire service is saying that the pilot has survived the crash. When you look at the crash this has to be miraculous.
Community Veteran

I think it is time to reconsider air shows. There are so many crashes and people being killed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

YouTube video of manouvre into the loop and then coming out of loop,......  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvHplYmh2f8

crash on Main A27 south coast highway.... at 00.35 .....    (A27 will remain closed until MONDAY ).......
You can see the cars on the roadway, which runs left to right.... ( shoreham airfield directly ahead in camera view)...  
Apparently plane hit a couple of cars... put one on fire, then caught fire itself as it careered across the carriageway, killing two cyclists, and hitting more cars... taking out the traffic lights that control the junction road to the airfield entrance from the main road.
amazingly, the pilot was pulled from the cockpit... and is in hospital recovering from serious injuries...  (hopefully)
Community Veteran

The pilot is in a critical condition and is fighting for his life.
Sussex Police said they are still searching the crash scene to determine if there are any more killed or injured people not yet found.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

There are some horrific videos on the web , this is a mild one of the crash site  Sad Sad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cw_mB2N6Eg ;    
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .