cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shop them

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Shop them

If you were made aware of the following would you shop them to the appropriate authorities,
1. Neighbour claiming benefits for which they were not entitled.
2. Someone doing work which they were not declaring Tax on.
3. A Relative telling you they had committed a serious crime.
16 REPLIES
JamesM
Grafter

Re: Shop them

1. No
2. No
3. No
RichAllen
Grafter

1: Yes, I would report them
2: Yes, I would report them
3: Depends what the "crime" was, if it was something like murder than yes I would report them.
Devonian
Grafter

Yes or No for all 3 questions is far to black and white.
For example, if a genuine hard working family are down on there luck, and claiming extra help than they should for the rent, then I'd over look it, however if it were a bunch of immigrants, I'd be on the phone straight away.
The same goes for number 2.
Number 3 all depends on the crime, and the reasons behind it.
RichAllen
Grafter

If someone was fraudulently claiming benefits, I would definitely shop them. I can't go into detail but my Parents and I are currently fighting for more funding from the Social for various aspects of my life, and it's like getting blood out of a stone to put it politely.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Devonian
For example, if a genuine hard working family are down on there luck, and claiming extra help than they should for the rent, then I'd over look it, however if it were a bunch of immigrants, I'd be on the phone straight away.

Would that apply if the hard working family was an immigrant family?
RichAllen
Grafter

That should be irrelevant IMO, it shouldn't matter whether they're native English or flippin' Martians, if they only claim what they're actually entitled to, there should be no problem.
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: artmo

Would that apply if the hard working family was an immigrant family?

Not if they had only been here a couple of years no.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The answer to all three ought to be yes.
All are 'crimes' and we have a duty to report them if we are aware they are being committed.
If we all turned a blind eye to every 'wrong doing' where would society be?
Ignoring crime only benefits the criminal, tax evasion and claiming benefits to which people are not entitled costs everyone else.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes or No for all 3 questions is far to black and white.
For example, if a genuine hard working family are down on there luck, and claiming extra help than they should for the rent, then I'd over look it

Ditto. I'm also opting with 'maybe'.
Moons ago I did shop someone. I'm not proud of it, at all but when you're backed into a corner by this person and you've got dirt on them.. well the decision is simple: You or Them? Unfortunately for the aggressor, I'd tried to diplomatically sort it out and they refused to sort it like adults but they continued and would not back down. Result? They got in a lot of trouble, lost over £40k, faced a magistrate and a narrow jail dodge etc.
Bottom line is no-one really cares if you're trying to survive but when you're taking the **** and then throwing your weight around and upsetting people the house of cards can crumble.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

1. Yes.
2. If they were doing it to fund holidays, large screen TVs, etc then probably yes. Supplementing the basics is one thing the rest is taking the piss.
2. Yes. Even family. You can't have one rule for some and another for the rest.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

eve73
Dabbler

1. Yes.  It is the same as stealing and anyone paying taxes is supporting them through their hard work.
2. Yes  he or she is dishonest and deserves to be reported.
3. Yes definitely as you say it is a serious crime.
My sons all work really hard for their family's,  just like a lot of other people, why should they
or any one else support these people.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

it would depend on a few things
but I would do it anonymously rather than for the rewards (not that the reward money wouldn't be welcome but the people you dob in do get told who dobbed them in and frankly I could do without the hassle)
also for the benefit fraud I would make sure I had cast iron proof so they couldn't talk there way out of it
for the tax evasion I would only be able to shop someone if I had access to there accounts or a recording of them declaring they were doing something for cash to avoid the tax mans cut
as for the crime I would say it rather depends on what they did, if it was a kiddie fiddler or rapist chances are they wouldn't be alive long enough to get arrested....

but in general yes I would because crime deserves punishment, and no I would not distinguish between ethnicities or religions, but I would rather dob in an illegal to get them deported than to get them arrested and put in prison here....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

They should bring back the Frankpledge where ten households are grouped and are responsible for each other's behaviour. Then shopping the neighbours would take on a new dimension.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not reporting a crime is veering towards "attempting to pervert the course of justice" which carries a pretty stiff sentence.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)