cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shop someone ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Shop someone ?

If you came across someone doing something illegal or it was brought to your attention someone was doing something illegal would you report them to the appropriate authorities ? And would you still do it if it was a colleague at work or a close friend, assuming of course you had asked them to stop doing it.

The term, 'to shop someone' or ' grass on them' is another description of reporting them.

Would I report someone, if it had anything to do with physical harm to another person and in particular a child yes but in most other cases no.

Interesting that if you are aware of something and fail to report it you could be breaking the law yourself.

9 REPLIES
Fixes: 121

Re: Shop someone ?

Depends if they are bigger than me and they could find out who 'grassed'Lips are sealed

In all seriousness I agree especially where children are concerned.

If it was petty shoplifting or similar or putting the wrong rubbish in the bins, no. But I probably would if it was fraud especially regarding benefits.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Definitely !!!  if they doing summat wrong they need reporting Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Fixes: 47

This is the sort of topic which many folk will read and move on without posting, considering that to be the wisest option.

I'm no different there.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Difficult to call as it all depends on the circumstances.

Shoplifting? A quick word with a member of staff should suffice.

Grass somebody up if friend, family of part of my community? Definitely not unless I judged it to be a really serious crime. 

Physical harm to another? If it was a child I would intervene in a heartbeat, if it was a couple of adults in a scrap.... walk away. 

As said, difficult to call. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

"But I probably would if it was fraud especially regarding benefits"

I know where you are coming from with that one Mav but it troubles me that so many regard benefit fraud by those that often have little as a worse offence than 'million pound frauds' by those that have so much.

Sounds to much like Daily Mail screeching about benefit cheats when they cost the country far less in real terms than the banks and corporations do when they 'legally' avoid paying tax or manipulate markets for individual benefit.

Philip Green anyone? 

But there you go, I guess the former is an easier and more visible target than the latter, and one gets sanctioned - and the other gets a knighthood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DQLkccZ5uo

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

The police decide which laws they are going to enforce.

Most people follow their example.

Or do they follow ours?

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

but would u shop someone at work for doing somthing wrong ?

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Minivanman
Hero

"but would u shop someone at work for doing something wrong?"

Probably not. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There are a lot of things coming to light these days about things that happened many years ago which people were aware of but because they were not involved turned a blind eye to it or knew they would be ostracized by their colleagues to the point no one would work with them.

I suspect most of us in such a situation years ago would have kept quiet and said nothing but these days there is a greater chance of individuals coming forward.

Had action been taken at the time much suffering could have been avoided in the past.

Looking at the way some, ' whistleblowers' have been treated despite government promises they would be supported hardly encouraged people to come forward.